Monday, July 20, 2015

Makeover Madness

The girls and I went kinda crazy the last week or so.  We were sitting on the beach and trying to figure out what to do with the rest of the day. Dave and Kirkham were off on a scout adventure and we wanted to have some "girl time".  What do girls do? we asked ourselves.  So, on a whim we decided to redecorate the house. Make the decorate. We've lived here almost 2 years and we haven't really done any real decorating: we just moved in.

We love the beach and wanted to bring that home. The only caveat: we would not be changing any of our furniture. We started with curtains, did some reupholstering and threw in some accessories.  Afton's newest piece of art was our inspiration piece.

The apartment came with really ugly, faded Aloha print curtains.  They looked super dingy. Afton said they made her feel angry. We ditched the aloha print and bought some cream material. I spent about 6 hours sewing all these simple curtains.  As you can see in the picture below they let a LOT of light in and make a big difference. Though you can't see them due to my poor photography and light balance, they are cute. Super beachy feeling.


Afton's art--the beach scene painted with acrylics over my old Klimt print (it was fading) was our inspiration pieces and serves as a focal point hanging over the piano.  We cleared the cluttery piano books off the top and put some of our most beautiful large shells, driftwood and a candle on one end of the piano and one of my orchids on the other. The piano books were all gathered into a basket on the floor to the left of the piano.


I bought a couple of cute throw pillows and made a few. The coloring in the above pictures is way off. I promise it is a blue and NOT grey.  It was fun playing with the embroidery functions on my new machine.  The girls had a blast learning how to program all of it.

We recovered the seats of the dining room chairs from black to a nice bright blue Waverly print purchased at Walmart. I'm so excited about all the new fabrics they've brought in over the past few weeks! I left the old fabric on and placed a layer of batting and a layer of muslin before placing the new material over the top.  I also scotchguarded the cushions before screwing them back onto the chairs.  This is a very important step when you have kids around!
We also found this cool planter that I just had to have. Of course can't have an empty planter so we grabbed a few plants for a living centerpiece. I was so sick of the old worn table cloths when the table underneath was so beautiful! I fell in love with these woven placemats and, knowing they wouldn't last long alone, bought plastic placemats too. The plastic ones aren't quite the look I was going for but they hide nicely under the woven mats and when it is time to eat we just pull them out from underneath.
The buffet got a pick me up with a new runner made of another beautiful Waverly sea print. Just a few family knick knacks rest here.
I really wanted a seashell wreath. I went a little out of my comfort zone here and pulled out the glue gun.   I bought a wreath form and had a really hard time getting shells to stick to it. At first I blamed it on my lack of glueing skills but Afton assured me it was the form.  I changed it to a cardboard cutout wrapped in wire edge ribbon for stability.  It didn't turn out quite like I wanted it to but I've gotten a lot of compliments on it--and they didn't even know I made it! Or at least they didn't let on that they could tell. I'm not sold on the goofy ribbon.  I'm gonna trade that out for a weathered looking rope maybe. It is stuck to the wall with 2 sets of velcro command strips.
Another out of my comfort zone project: a driftwood clock. It speaks for itself.  I still haven't decided how I feel about it.



We didn't stop with the front room but I will share the rest in another post.  We went on to put new curtains, duvet covers, pillows and more in the girls room, and made changes in the bathrooms and the hallway. It has been a fun project to do with the girls.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hi Friend! I know you have something very important to say. So, what do you think?

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Followers