Monday, July 06, 2015

Grad Student: I Am Admitted!!!

I have officially received word that I am accepted into the University of Arkansas Graduate School! I am very excited about this opportunity and what lies ahead. I haven't told a lot of people yet but when I do these are the questions I get:

So are you moving?
No. It is an online Master's program

What are you studying?
Apparel Merchandising and Product Development

What are you going to do with that?
I want to be a college professor

I thought you were a college professor.
Nope. I am an adjunct instructor. I have a semester to semester contract that can be cancelled at any time and lower pay.

Is there an apparel program at BYU-Hawaii? Are you going to move?
No there isn't an apparel program at BYU-H and we haven't made any plans to move. I have made a proposal for an Apparel Certificate through the BYUH business department.  It is under review and could give me something more to teach here. Teaching at BYU-Hawaii isn't the point of the degree though. If we move again (which is likely considering our track record) any other school would require I had a Master's degree to teach the courses I currently teach.  I want to be able to continue doing what I am doing no matter where I end up.

How long will it take?
2 years

Do you go at your own pace?
No.  Unlike my bachelor's degree this Master's program is on the semester system. 

Will you have to write a Thesis?
I think it is an option but the online students are encouraged to take additional elective courses instead.

Do you think you'll go on to get a doctorate?
I'm not ready to make that decision yet.  I do have my eye on a couple programs that interest me but I need to see where the next two years take me first.

Any other questions? Comment below.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hi Friend! I know you have something very important to say. So, what do you think?

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Followers