Saturday, December 13, 2014

Laie Marathon Results!!

I did it!!! I finished a marathon and I feel great!! My knees are the sorest part of my body. My feet are sore and my hips are a little sore. Everything else feels good. Most importantly I am not a slug today. My energy levels are a little low but not terribly so. Emotionally I feel fantastic.

As planned, I was at the starting line ready to go at 5am. We took this picture just inside the church building beforehand. The pic is missing Christine. She joined us just after the pic. I don't know the two guys on the left. I think they are some of Kevin's runners from the University. Kevin is in the middle and he is the organizer of this little marathon. The three other ladies are Kuulei, Megan and Lindsey. Christine and I were the only ones to run the full marathon. Everyone else ran the half marathon.

Kuulei is my visiting teachee and my back door neighbor. She is the most lovely person. She and I ran together all the way to Turtle Bay where she turned around. Most of the runners completing the half marathon ran to Waimea and then caught a ride back. Kuulei ran to Turtle Bay and then back to Laie because she had an early morning baptism to attend and was worried about her ride getting through the surf competition traffic in a timely manner. She completed her half marathon by 7:30 and got to the baptism in time.

As we neared Turtle Bay I thanked her for running with me and admitted I probably would have taken a walking break if it wasn't for her. She admitted to the same and we had a good laugh. It is nice to have a friend along who helps you be better.

The sun was finally coming up as I passed the Velzyland UH farm.

Early in the morning and parking lots were already full in anticipation of the days Pipe Masters Pro Surf competition.
I love Shark's Cove when the waves are coming in big. I ran as close to the Beach side of the parking lot as possible to catch all the mist I could.

I was going to save my midpoint picture for the actual midpoint but as I came around the bend to descend to Waimea Valley this view blew me away. I love the beauty that surrounds me here.
The Sunset Bike Path is a joy to run on. There are usually so many interesting people to watch and listen to and there is so much beauty. Different parts of the path have slightly different landscaping. I especially liked this section as the sun gently streamed through the trees.
The waves at Sunset beach this morning were AMAZING! I would have loved to stop and watch the surfers who were daring the big waves. But alas, I had a date with a finish line to keep.
Three quarters done at Turtle Bay. This is one of the places Dave set up a little water station for me.  He fed me a steady supply of water and Gu. I am so thankful for his support today.
There were a few windy spots today. Kahuku by the windmills was the worst of them. Straight shot of wind in the face for about 1.5 miles. It slowed me down a bit and got stuff in my eyes a few times. I'd rather have wind then unbearable stagnant heat though.
Almost home and Kahuku Grill is calling my name! I've run this section a ton of times and it felt great to be on my home turf. I was pretty tired by this point. My knees were hurting a kind of swollen hurt--very different from injured hurt--so I turned on my tunes to get my mind off my body. First song: All About that Bass. Even after 23.5 miles that song makes me want to dance.
The tunes really helped me through the last long stretch of the Malaekahana Bike Path. I was tired and sore but still had enough energy to run. And when I needed a break I was able to still walk fast. I was never tempted to stop and never felt like stopping or taking a little break or even taking off my shoes. And that's a big deal because I am always tempted to take my shoes off for the last half mile of my run. My feet are usually begging to escape. Here is a picture of me just over the finish line! Ayanna and Jonah Schlag were generous enough to wait in the parking lot for me for nearly an hour just so they could put out a finish line for me to cross. What troopers!
Dave and the kids weren't at the finish line as planned so I just started walking home. They weren't expecting me for another 20 minutes :-). In retrospect I guess I should have called them but I just didn't think about it. All I could think about was getting a Gatorade and taking a cold shower.

As I walked Kirkham came screaming up on his skateboard. He had been sent out on a scouting mission to see how far I was from the finish. He was very surprised to see me walking home. He was excited to see me and asked how I felt. I said I felt good. He asked what place I finished and I answered last. He wanted to know how many people ran the marathon and I told him two. He said, "So you got 2nd place!" Always an optimist. Love that kid!

A few notes from the race
Last night Dave convinced me not to carry the camel back. He was worried about me carrying the extra weight and he wanted to meet me along the way to pass me water, etc. I think he was worried about me having problems and wanted to make sure he would be close by.  Every water station he set up he would ask me how I was feeling and if I was hurting. He would give me a super fast pep talk and quickly get me going again. I am so grateful he did that. It was nice to look forward to seeing him every 3 miles or so.

This morning I forgot to take Tylenol before leaving. Don't know what effect this had on my race because I haven't done it before.

I walked as needed and in hindsight could probably have walked less.  I finished the race feeling so good and should have been a little more spent at the end. I suppose that means that I paced myself well but it also means I could have pushed myself a tiny bit harder. However, if I would have finished more spent then I might not feel as good now and instead might have been left with a bad experience that would scare me away from future marathons. A do-over I wouldn't change but next time I will pace a little faster.

I drank just the right amount of water. When I got home I only weighed 1 pound less than when I left this morning. That is a good sign of sufficient hydration--maybe even too much hydration?

The scriptures, podcasts and music I listened to were very interesting and entertaining. I listened to the section of the Book of Mormon where Lehi's family departs into the wilderness--a great listen as I started off and headed toward the wilderness of my marathon. Next I listened to a couple of Tim Pychel's excellent podcasts on procrastination. I had randomly selected them and was surprised when both of them referenced running and big goals like marathons. I listened to an episode of Americas Test Kitchen from which I learned how to make the perfect spritz cookies. That was followed by Science Friday's episode on perfect cookies. Cookies are great motivation for a marathoner! The last podcast I listened to was Mother Runner's episode on "What's Next".

I only listened to music for about 3 miles but here's the list of songs that I heard (on shuffle from my playlist):
All About That Bass
Midnight City
Harder to Breathe
Feel Good Inc
Skankin to the Beat
Upside Down
Hey Brother

After the Race
I was able to drink Gatorade and eat a banana right after the race. Within an hour I was able to eat a peanut butter and jelly sandwich. Both of these surprised me. I often cannot eat real food for a while after running. Even if I can eat them I often get an upset stomach but not today! I am so happy to report that not only am I not having any trouble eating or drinking but I am also having no problems peeing. Woohoo! Nice and clear.

I have been alternating sitting around and doing stuff. I had to install some drapes for a client and though I was perhaps a little slower than usual everything went well. I will be driving the kids to a swim "thing" tonight and have been able to do stuff for myself. I have been stretching a little here and there to make sure my movement doesn't freeze up. Hopefully I will be able to say the same tomorrow.

Whats next
I think I will definitely do another marathon. It was empowering. I feel strong and proud. I am amazed at what my body can do! I don't plan on doing another one until next year though. And by next year I mean December of next year.  For now I will do low weights and some walking next week. The week after that I will be on vacation and will only do a few hikes. Maybe three weeks from now I'll get back to doing some running. Next race is the Great Aloha Run the third week of February. 8 miles.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hi Friend! I know you have something very important to say. So, what do you think?

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...