Thursday, June 12, 2014

This Week's List-o-Links

Ukulele Strumming Patterns-with some free time on our hands Afton and I are trying to teach ourselves Ukulele. We've been working on it for a while, have learned a good bunch of chords, but now it is time to perfect our strumming patterns. This site has been very helpful. I especially like that they explain it and then play it and then have a list of songs linked to listen to it in a song.

How to Preserve Avocados-The property we live on has an avocado tree. We can't pick the avocados because they belong to the owner, however, the owner is out of town right now! They have asked us to take care of the place while they are gone. One of our responsibilities: pick up all the fallen avocados and we can use them as we please. HURRAY! We have 9 avocados so far! That's way more than we can eat so we will be freezing some to enjoy in guac later.

Velzyland Surf Report-The surf has been really small lately but that didn't keep Dave and I from sneaking out on Tuesday night for a surf session at Velzy. The weather was perfect, the waves were small, and we were the only ones out. It was paradise. We stayed until the sun started to set and we realized we were hungry. It was a beautiful evening that reminded us why we love Hawaii so much.

Molten Lava Cupcakes-Had a surprise visit from Dave's aunts Connie and Barb and their husbands. We were so excited to see them and introduce them to the kids and when we found out it was Connie's 69th birthday we insisted they come over for dinner and birthday cake between their visit to the Polynesian Cultural Center and the Ha Breath of Life Night Show. I asked what kind of cake and she said chocolate so I tried out this recipe I've been ogling and it was delicious!

Quick Pudding Mixes- Halfway into making the above cupcakes I realized I was out of instant pudding mix needed for the recipe. This recipe isn't instant; it requires a little heating on the stove but it is easy and tasty and I really didn't want to go to the store for 1 small box of pudding mix. I changed the cupcake recipe slightly to accommodate the cooking needed for this pudding. I used the prescribed amount of dry mix with the 1 1/4 cups of water called for in the cake recipe and heated that until bubbly and thick. The rest of the cupcake recipe I followed as written. I made a half recipe of the chocolate pudding mix and a half recipe of the vanilla pudding mix to keep on hand. Seeing the pudding mix in the cupboard reminded the kids that once upon a time I was supermom and did this kind of stuff all the time. They were so excited to have it at their finger tips. The link above also has quick mix recipes for butterscotch and coconut pudding.

North Carolina State Textile Science Online Master's Program-As if I didn't have enough to do I am thinking about getting myself into a Master's program. I've always been tempted to go to business school and now that I've had a taste of teaching at the college level, and want to continue doing it forever, I'm probably need a graduate degree to make that a reality. This program offered by North Carolina state is an online course of study that has so many classes that I really, really, really want to take. It just sounds so interesting and fun! But it is a 2 year and $25K commitment. I don't think I'm quite ready for that yet. Application deadline is June 26th.

Lisa's Cream of Chicken Soup Mix-Ran out of this staple when I made Chicken Enchiladas for the aunts on Monday. I love this recipe and haven't purchased Cream of Chicken soup for years because of it. Saves me money and tastes better. Like the pudding mix it isn't instant but it is pretty close. Add the water, heat it in the microwave, stirring occasionally until thickened. In under 2 minutes you've got your "can of soup".


No comments:

Post a Comment

Hi Friend! I know you have something very important to say. So, what do you think?

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Followers