Monday, September 09, 2013

Wendy Watson Nelson Fireside

Last night I had the opportunity to attend a large Women's Fireside with Wendy Watson Nelson, wife of Russel M. Nelson of the Quorum of the Twelve Apostles. It was an inspiring meeting and I took soooo many notes. Here's some of what I learned:


  • "The spirit will not force you to learn. "
  • "You are here to fill the measure of your creation." (I have heard this before but last night when I heard it I thought of a liquid measuring cup that I have that is 1 1/4 cups capacity. I only ever use it for 1 cup of liquid even though it is made to hold more. This made me wonder if I am doing the same with myself.)
  • "What did you commit to do premortally?" If you expect to, after this life, have a reconciliation with God--a meeting where you report back to Him on what you accomplished while on earth--isn't it reasonable to assume that you likely sat down with Him before coming to earth and discussed His needs and expectations and your role in His plan? Isn't it reasonable to say that you probably wrote a list of Things to Do While on Earth (especially if you're like me and love lists) some of which undoubtedly you promised God you would complete for Him. How would that list--that premortal list--compare to today's task list? Is it possible that some of your biggest trials may have been on that list of Things to Do?
  • Every temple of the Lord has the words "Holiness to the Lord The House of the Lord". A Temple cannot be dedicated until those words are placed on it. Is that written on your heart? Are you striving to be Holy, to be dedicated to the Lord? How would a Holy Woman live? How would she write a to-do list, make a dinner, have a conversation, entertain herself, eat, exercise, make a complaint? How would she correct a problem, speak to her children, treat her husband?
  • Being Holy doesn't mean being perfect. D&C 46:33 "Ye must practice holiness before me continually"; D&C 60:7, "I am able to make you holy, and your sins are forgiven you."
  • Experiment: try being holy in one thing every day. Doesn't have to be the same thing every day. what did you learn from the experiment after 3 days? after 7 days? Did anyone else notice a difference in you? Ask.
  • Do what the spirit tells you to do. DO IT! Pray to be open to the promptings of the spirit.
  • Keep negative influences out of the home
  • Live worthy of your children and REALLY be with them. (What would a Holy Family do?)
  • Increase your understanding of the atonement. Make a plan to do it.
Obviously I came home with a lot to think about. I was very grateful for the spirit and love of the Savior I felt at the meeting. I will be focusing my personal study and meditation on the impressions I had last night. Grateful for the opportunity to attend and listen to a Woman of God.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hi Friend! I know you have something very important to say. So, what do you think?

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Followers