Tuesday, July 09, 2013

Cousins Birthday and a Watermelon Smoothie

I woke up this morning feeling terrible: pounding headache, sore neck and jaw and back and body, tired and dizzy and just generally crappy. And I had really strange bad dreams all night long.  I imagine this is what it would feel like to have a hangover . . . if I were a drinker. I think I had too much fun last night; too much sugar!

Our big cousins birthday party carnival was a hit. It had a slow start but with the long nights here in Washington it really doesn't matter. We had a delicious pot luck spread for dinner that included family favorites like Teriyaki chicken, macaroni and cheese, baked spaghetti, quinoa salad and musubi. We played fun games: a three legged race, water balloon toss, balloon pop, ring toss, coin toss, and birthday crown making. Kids played in the pool and played frisbee and raced on the green machine. Adults visited and passed around the babies. We ate lots of cake and ice cream and visited until the sun went down around 10pm.

All the cousins lined up and ready for some fun. From front to back: Shea, Gwen, Cass, Cali, Rianne, Kierra, Anson, Tanner, Cora, James, Alexis, Afton, Reagan, Kelsie, Kirkham, neighbor friend, Heath, Joseph (at far back left)
Three legged race fun

Starting line for the balloon pop relay

Waterballoon toss. The pair that gets the farthest from each other wins!

Waterballoon explosion on James!


Cutie little Lucia. Daughter of Travis and Jaqui.

The kids surround Grandma Heather and Aunt Dacia for their turn to make a glittery birthday crown.

Heath lights the birthday candles--leftover sparklers from the 4th.

The little kids try, unsuccesfully, to blow out the sparklers as we sing "Happy Birthday, dear cousins . . ."

Everyone was excited to get a big scoop of rainbow sherbet ice cream with their birthday cake.

James, Joseph and Cora, among others, enjoying an evening dip in the pool.


After cleaning up we stopped by my parents house for a few minutes. Dacia needed my boys to help her lift some heavy items. While they did that I snuggled up with Dacia's boys and sang them a few lullaby's. Gonna miss those cuties when they leave tomorrow.

The dream last night? I dreamt Peggy, my mother-in-law cut the kids hair and it looked atrocious. Heath had a bowl cut and the girls hair was choppy and uneven with big chunks--like rat tails--hanging out all over the place. It was horrible and we were at church when I noticed that they looked so terrible and I couldn't do anything about it. Being at church didn't stop me from turning into a screaming crying mess though. I was giving her a tongue lashing for having the gall to do such a thing and she (and everyone else at church) were looking at me like I was a crazy woman. Even the kids thought I was nuts and claimed they kinda liked their new do's. This made me even more livid. Boy was I happy to wake up to 4 full heads of hair and my sweet and happy, scissor-free, mother-in-law.

This morning's cure for headache and feeling sluggish is a watermelon smoothie. Refreshing, re-hydrating, and very tasty.

WATERMELON SMOOTHIE
1 gallon watermelon chunks, very cold or frozen
1/3 cup shredded coconut
2 mint leaves

puree in blender and serve cold.

1 comment:

  1. I love that you all had a cousin birthday party. What a FABULOUS idea. Looks like you had a wonderful time together! Love and miss you guys! -Marlee

    ReplyDelete

Hi Friend! I know you have something very important to say. So, what do you think?

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Followers