Wednesday, June 12, 2013

Stop Trying to Change Others

Today I am sorting through piles of paperwork that need to be filed and thrown out and acted upon before I leave on Sunday. I'm finding all sorts of interesting things like some checks that need to be deposited, some invitations to parties that we should have attended and little notes like this:

1. Confront yourself for the sake of your own integrity and personal development.
2. Don't count on others confronting themselves, that's their business.
3. Stop taking other's reactions personally.
4. Don't react to your feelings.
5. Stop trying to change others.
6. Stop trying to make others listen, accept or validate you.
7. Forget about working on relationships, and start working on yourself.
8. Focus on yourself, and not what others aren't doing.

I don't know where I got this from but I thought it is a great reminder for myself, my children, and perhaps you? There is only one person I can change and that is myself. I especially like #5. As a mom I sometimes catch myself trying to change my kids. This always leaves me feeling like I am trying to move an elephant by pulling on his toe: frustrated. When I remember that they need to make their own changes and that my job is to influence them things seem to go a little smoother. This makes me want to reread that book "How to Win Friends and Influence People" by Dale Carnegie. I know what I'll be checking out at the library this week.

1 comment:

  1. That is one of my favorite books. now I want to re-read it as well... See you soon!

    ReplyDelete

Hi Friend! I know you have something very important to say. So, what do you think?

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Followers