Sunday, June 30, 2013

Raspberry Pie Supreme

Do you remember when I moved from Washington how sad I was to be leaving my garden? Do you remember how blessed I felt to get an early crop of strawberries just before leaving and how I felt like it was a miracle and one of many of God's tender mercies for me during that difficult transition? Here's the blog post to remind you: The Miracle of the Strawberries.

I have kinda felt the same since I returned about my raspberries. The yard was not in great shape when we got back. It wasn't horrible but it was disappointing knowing how hard I had worked on it and how good it could have been if it had been maintained the same. One thing that helped me feel better about it though was the abundance of raspberries that were in my patch all ripe and ready to eat. 

I picked berries every day and on the last day--the day before I turned over keys to my new renter--I picked a half gallon of berries in one day! We ate raspberries plain, in salad, with yogurt or cottage cheese, on cereal and we still had so many that we decided to make a once in a decade treat Raspberry Pie Supreme. The last time I had enough raspberries to make this pie was back in 2000, the year everything went wrong (see the post Flashback to 2000:Jobless in Seattle). I had enough berries to make two pies this time! They were a delicious treat and reminder that God wants me to be happy.
A peek into the berry patch

Raspberry Pie Supreme

Preheat oven to 425 degrees
Prepare a large single pie crust (Never Fail Pie Crust) and pre-bake it for 10 minutes. Reduce oven to 350 degrees.

In a medium bowl beat and set aside:
    8 oz soft cream cheese
    1/2 cup sugar
    2 eggs
    1/2 tsp vanilla
    1/2 cup dairy sour cream

In a medium saucepan combine and cook until thick and color is bright : 
     3 cups raspberries
     1 cup sugar
     1/4 c cornstarch
     
Fold into berry sauce:
     3 cups more raspberries

Fill cooked shell with thickened hot berry filling. Top with the cream cheese mixture and bake for 35 minutes. Filling may be slightly soft but shouldn't be runny (should set up like a cheese cake). Cool completely before serving.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hi Friend! I know you have something very important to say. So, what do you think?

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Followers