Thursday, February 07, 2013

If I Had a Million Dollars . . .

I got a phone call from one of my student tenants today. She is not a native English speaker and had just discovered that she accidentally wrote her rent check for three thousand eighty dollars instead of three hundred eighty. Wow! She had already deposited the check into the property owner's account and now needed my help to rectify the problem. I helped her and went on with my day but it got me thinking . . . If I suddenly had an extra $3000 what would I do with it?

 Now, I'm not saying I would take the student's money or the property owner's money or any money that didn't rightfully belong to me but, if $3000 dropped out of the sky and into my bank account and had to be used right away how would I use it?

$3000

  • Tithing (10%) $300
  • Spend the rest to go on a family trip to the Big Island (Hawaii) to see the volcanoes. Get a nice hotel and take everyone on a helicopter ride. $2700
That got me thinking about money and what ifs and I thought what if I got more. What if I got . . . .

$10,000
  • Tithing (10%) $1000
  • Go on a family trip to the Big Island (Hawaii) to see the volcanoes. Get a nice hotel and take everyone on a helicopter ride. $2500
  • Buy an economical used small car so I can save gas money on trips into town. $5500
  • Buy a new serger. $500
  • Get an iPad and a new cell phone (I hate my current phone) $500
$20,000
  • Tithing (10%) $2000
  • Go on a family trip to the Big Island (Hawaii) to see the volcanoes. Get a nice hotel and take everyone on a helicopter ride. $2500
  • Buy an economical used small car so I can save gas money on trips into town. $5500
  • Buy a new serger. $500
  • Get an iPad and a new cell phone (I hate my current phone) $500
  • Start a small business that will provide the community with a valuable product or service and provide my kids with jobs. $9,000
$50,000
  • Tithing (10%) $5000
  • Go on a family trip to the Big Island (Hawaii) to see the volcanoes. Get a nice hotel and take everyone on a helicopter ride. $2500
  • Buy an economical used small car so I can save gas money on trips into town. $5500
  • Buy a new serger. $500
  • Get an iPad and a new cell phone (I hate my current phone) $500
  • Start a small business that will provide the community with a valuable product or service and provide my kids with jobs. $10,000
  • Pay off the last of my student loans and pay for Dave to go back to school to get his Doctorate.
$100,000
  • Tithing (10%) $10,000
  • Go on a family trip to the Big Island (Hawaii) to see the volcanoes. Get a nice hotel and take everyone on a helicopter ride. $2500
  • Buy an economical used small car so I can save gas money on trips into town. $5500
  • Buy a new serger. $500
  • Get an iPad and a new cell phone (I hate my current phone) $500
  • Start a small business that will provide the community with a valuable product or service and provide my kids with jobs. $10,000
  • Pay off the last of my student loans and pay for Dave to go back to school to get his Doctorate.
  • Make a small down payment on a fixer upper $20,000
  • Start fixing the fixer upper with whatever is left over
$500,000
  • Tithing (10%) $50,000
  • Go on a family trip to the Big Island (Hawaii) to see the volcanoes. Get a nice hotel and take everyone on a helicopter ride. $2500
  • Buy an economical used small car so I can save gas money on trips into town. $5500
  • Buy a new serger. $500
  • Get an iPad and a new cell phone (I hate my current phone) $500
  • Start a small business that will provide the community with a valuable product or service and provide my kids with jobs. $10,000
  • Pay off the last of my student loans and pay for Dave to go back to school to get his Doctorate.
  • Make a small down payment on a fixer upper $20,000
  • Start fixing the fixer upper with whatever is left over
  • Buy a grand piano $8000
$1,000,000
  • Tithing (10%) $100,000
  • Go on a family trip to the Big Island (Hawaii) to see the volcanoes. Get a nice hotel and take everyone on a helicopter ride. $2500
  • Buy an economical used small car so I can save gas money on trips into town. $5500
  • Buy a new serger. $500
  • Get an iPad and a new cell phone (I hate my current phone) $500
  • Pay off the last of my student loans and pay for Dave to go back to school to get his Doctorate.
  • Make a small down payment on a fixer upper $20,000
  • Start fixing the fixer upper with whatever is left over
  • Buy a grand piano $8000
  • Pay off at least a big chunk of the mortgage on my house in Lakewood and keep it as a rental property (keep some mortgage for tax advantage?)
  • Instead of a small business purchase two more rental properties $300,000 and have the kids help manage them.
  • Use whatever's left over to finish my fixer upper, get some new furnishings, clothes, another kayak and maybe a couple of scooters.
What would you do if a million dollars dropped into your bank account?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hi Friend! I know you have something very important to say. So, what do you think?

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Followers