Tuesday, October 30, 2012

When Life Gives You Lemons

I told you about my big harvest of lemons. I had 13 large Hawaiian Meyer Lemons. From those 13 lemons I got EIGHT CUPS of juice. WOW! That was a lot more than I expected. I had enough to make lemon sorbet, lemon curd, a gallon of fresh lemonade and I had an extra cup of lemon juice to stash into the refrigerator.
I pick them when they are turning yellow but still a little green. Most ripen up to yellow quickly. I do this because I like sour lemons. For a sweeter lemon I could leave these on the tree until the lemons turn an orangish yellow.

Wow! Just shy of 8 cups of juice from a mere 13 lemons. I was shocked!

And guess what I found when I went back to the side yard two days later . . . another 14 lemons ready to be picked and 8 limes. With these I'd like to try making Preserved Lemons, and Lemon Marmalade. And of course a Hawaiian Lime Pie (I'm gonna have to make up this recipe and I think it will include some coconut).

Though it won't use any of my lemons or limes, for my birthday this is the cake I want: Lemonade Cake. It was always one of my favorites growing up.

Lemonade Cake 
(AKA Lemon Poke Cake)

In a large bowl combine the following ingredients and mix until smooth:
Lemon Cake Mix
4 eggs
1/2 cup oil
1 cup water
3 oz pkg of Lemon flavored Jello

Pour mixture into a greased 9x13 pan and Bake at 350 degrees for 30 minutes.
While the cake is baking whisk together 2 cups powdered sugar and 8 Tablespoons lemon juice.
Remove pan from oven and place on a cooling rack. While still hot poke holes all over the top of the cake using a skewer or toothpick or fork tines. Pour sugar and lemon juice glaze onto cake. Allow to cool slightly but serve warm with cool whip.

Optional: use Raspberry Jello instead of Lemon flavored to make Raspberry Lemonade Cake.

2 comments:

  1. Lemons are my favorite fruit. I freeze the juice in a water bottle, then run it under hot water to thaw and pour just what I need. That way it doesn't get the ice crystals like it does when you use ice cube trays. Would LOVE to have a meyer lemon tree, especially.

    ReplyDelete
  2. ...and HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!!

    ReplyDelete

Hi Friend! I know you have something very important to say. So, what do you think?

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Followers