Saturday, October 13, 2012

Gunstock 5K


I had butterflies in my stomach all day yesterday and I had a hard time sleeping last night but I did it! I finished the Gunstock 5K trail run this morning. I'm so proud of me!

I had set two goals for myself. My first goal was to run the race in 35 minutes. I really wanted to get under 35 if possible and that would make me extremely happy. My second goal was to finish in under 45 minutes--I had heard trail runs were really hard and I knew there were going to be a lot of hills. I would not be disappointed in myself at all as long as I finished the race in under 45 minutes.

I am very happy to report that I ran it in 32:24.14!!!! I blew my goal out of the water AND I probably wasn't as tired as I should have been at the end. I could have pushed harder and didn't even know it.

My big downfall was the dang hills. I ended up fast walking up a few. I was just so out of breath. But I always quickly regained my breathing and I was usually able to keep pace with the slow runners near me (as in I was walking as fast as a slow runner).

I'm feeling really good this afternoon. Not totally worn out just a little muscle fatigue.  Oh, and my back is sore. I'm thinking that is from running down hill.

I am going to do this again. There are some more races coming up in the next few months that I may attempt. But first I need to work on my hill ascents and descents. The third place winner ran the race in just over 28 minutes. I'm thinking if I train right I may be able to place next year. Those hills are going to be key if I'm going to trim 4 minutes off my 5K time.

I really enjoyed running this race and I now know why my sister is hooked on running. It is such an exhilarating feeling running surrounded by so many people all with the same goal in mind: to finish the race and do it well.

1 comment:

  1. So proud of you. That is a great time. I have a goal to do a 5K under 30 minutes sometime, but first I have to do my half-marathon this weekend. In training for this, I have discovered I am not really a long distance runner. (Too much hurts after 10 miles). But I really look forward to some 5K, and maybe 10Ks. Keep up the good work.

    ReplyDelete

Hi Friend! I know you have something very important to say. So, what do you think?

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Followers