Monday, October 08, 2012

Conference Thoughts

I love watching the Semi-Annual General Conference of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. I haven't always felt this way though. When I was a kid I would drag my feet and complain. It just seemed so long and boring to listen to two hours of speakers and music. My dad would always insist I participate with the rest of the family answering my whining "Do I have to?" with "Yes, you get to" (does that sound familiar?) 

Now that I'm a grown-up I love it because it is an opportunity to listen to the words of modern-day prophets, reflect on my commitment to the Gospel of Jesus Christ, evaluate how I am doing on the path of life, and commit (or recommit as the case may be) to improving and becoming more Christlike.

I definitely felt inspired and uplifted by the messages I heard. Here is the link to the whole conference if you are interested: LDS General Conference, October 2012.

I may share some more specific talks and thoughts in the near future but for now here are a few of the notes I wrote to myself (Warning: they may not make sense to you and that's ok. These are my notes):
  • Elder Quentin L. Cook: "A lack of civility in the home is not acceptable." It is never too late to apply the Atonement in our lives.
  • Ann Dibb: "Know it. Live it. Love it." Refocus and increase knowledge.
  • Elder Craig Christiansen: Heed promptings of the spirit quickly.
  • President Dieter F. Uchtdorf: "Busy is not a badge of honor." Purposefully go through each day and give others the precious gift of time.
  • Elder Larry Echo Hawk: "Yes, Sargent instructor!"
  • Elder Robert C. Gay: "Would you sell your soul for a nickel?"
  • Elder Scott D. Whitting (I met him earlier this year. I was having a particularly difficult evening and burst into tears when he came to shake my hand. He gave me his Lei and said I needed it more than him.): The story of the gritty wall and unsquare window that had to be redone because they were not to Temple standard. The Lord knows our efforts and his standards. "Know ye not that ye are the temple of God?" What renovations and repairs do I need to make?
  • President Henry B. Eyring: Act on the Lord's timetable.
  • Elder Boyd K. Packer: Be the light that others may need to weather their storms.
  • President Thomas S. Monson: "The Lord is in the details of our lives." He makes up the difference in all things
  • Elder Robert D. Hales: Become a more Christian Christian. Share the Gospel through all our acts.
  • Elder Marcus B. Nash: Faith and Wisdom are like two wings of a plane; both are necessary. "Seek learning by study and by faith."
  • Elder David A. Bednar: Know the Gospel is true and be true to the Gospel.



1 comment:

  1. Those were all great. I felt like this was one of the best conferences so far. I can't wait for the Ensign to come so I can read them all. (I always get something new out of them when I read them). My very favorite talk this time was Jeffrey R. Holland's. He spoke about the Savior's life and mission with so much passion that it just bored into my soul while he was speaking. It was a very cool kind of spiritual experience for me personally.

    ReplyDelete

Hi Friend! I know you have something very important to say. So, what do you think?

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Followers