Monday, September 10, 2012

Late Night

It is very rare for me to be up this late. Usually I crash by 9:30pm. Yeah, I'm getting old.

In my defense I do get up at 4:30am. I have to if I want to get my workout in before work. I really have learned to love working out in the morning. The cool of the morning makes it easy to put in my best efforts and really work up a sweat. The dark offers a bit of anonymity--I don't feel like people are staring at me or judging my hot red sweaty face and disheveled hair. It is also quiet which gives me time to think and center and relax.

My late night tonight may make it difficult to get up in 4.5 hours but try as I might sleep is not coming. I've got an uncomfortable kink in my neck. My legs keep twitching. I keep thinking of things to be added to my to do list.

I got up and wrote the things down, stretched out my legs, and made myself a small mug of sweet steamed milk served with a slice of cinnamon toast. I learned this from my mom when I was a kid. It has always seemed to help relax me. It's what I suggest to my kids when they can't sleep. But I'm still awake for now.

It's been a while since I blogged and I have felt bad about it. We have had alot going on that is blog worthy I just haven't made it a priority I guess. Part of it is that I feel like I'm bragging or showing off all the time. All the stories of our beach trips and pictures of beautiful things, reports on how good I am feeling here, how much weight I've lost and how well the kids are doing. I feel like I am living my dream life (at least part of it) and I sometimes feel a little guilty about it.

Sure I still have disappointments and distractions, struggles and challenges but nothing I can't handle. But that makes me worry too.  Sometimes I wonder if God is giving me a little break, a chance to build up strength before the next big thing? And now that I've typed that should I knock on wood? Have I just cursed myself?

Or should I be doing more with my time.

Since being on my fitness thing this year I have learned a lot about strengthening my body, improving endurance and maintaining what I've worked hard for. In all my studying and practice I have learned that recovery periods between workouts are just as important as the workouts themselves. How I treat my body between workouts greatly impacts my performance in my next workout.

To recover well I have to eat right, sleep well, have some time to relax and play, and to keep myself de-stressed by staying on top of chores and responsibilities. If I do too much the next workout suffers because I'm tired. But the same holds true if I don't do enough. If I sit around and am lazy for a day--eating junk food, staying up late or sleeping in, don't get anything accomplished--my exercise performance suffers even more. My running times slow down, I can't lift as much weight, my motivation to complete my whole prescribed workout sinks and that leaves me feeling yucky for the rest of the day because I'm disappointed with myself. It can turn into a cycle.

Comparing my God-given "break" with a between workout recovery period I can see that I probably need to be doing more with my time. I wonder if I could be feeding my soul better food? Am I spending enough time in prayer and meditation? Are there things in my life that need some cleaning up that I've been avoiding for a while? I suppose now is the best time to tackle it . . . so I can be ready for my next workout.

2 comments:

  1. I don't think a person should ever feel bad for being happy, or apologize for feeling good. I know you are so grateful for the life you are living. Everyone on Earth could stand to work at least a little harder on their Spiritual strength. Those things being said, those of us who read your blog faithfully have never felt like you were bragging about the blessings in your life, but celebrating them, and I, for one, LOVE that you are willing to share them. I'm so happy that you have found the recipe for your happy life. You've worked hard for it and been blessed for it. Your blog inspires us to work harder and do more, and for that, I thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dani, I never think your posts are bragging. I find them motivating. and I love to see your family grow. You are an inspiring mother and you help others when you share your talents.
    Mahalo =)

    ReplyDelete

Hi Friend! I know you have something very important to say. So, what do you think?

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Followers