Monday, July 09, 2012

Husband (Son) Pleasin' Chocolate Cake

I got so many compliments on Heath's birthday cake. It tasted great and looked great and was thoroughly enjoyed. And now it is gone. This is what it looked like



Nothing super fancy.  I was trying to get a nice swirl in the middle and as I was pushing the icing through the tip a big air bubble burped out way more frosting than I intended but oh well, it was a good platform for the final 16th candle.


The inside view of the cake: two layers with a soft and fluffy chocolate mousse filling. Everything was from scratch. The cake was my very favorite from scratch chocolate cake, "Husband Pleasing Chocolate Cake". I got this recipe from my mom.  She has used it for years. It is a delicious light, and moist cake and is made without any eggs. Yes! It's amazing! This was the first time I have used this frosting recipe. My old buttercream recipe melts and gets slimy in the Hawaiian humidity. This high humidity recipe worked perfectly and held the decoration easily. I also shaved some chocolate bar onto the top for some added texture.  Heath was very pleased with his super chocolate birthday cake.

Husband Pleasing Chocolate Cake

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Prepare 9x13 pan by coating with a thin layer of butter or crisco and then thoroughly dusting with flour. Set aside

In a large bowl sift together:
3 cups flour
2 cups sugar
1/2 cup cocoa
2 t baking soda
1 t salt

In a separate bowl measure:
3/4 cup oil
2 T vinegar
2 t vanilla
2 cups cold water

Pour wet ingredients into dry ingredients and mix thoroughly. Pour into prepared pan and bake in preheated oven for 40 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean.  Cool before frosting.

Chocolate Mouse Cake Filling

In a medium bowl whisk together until peaks form:
1 3oz package jello instant Chocolate pudding
1 cup heavy whipping cream
1 cup milk

Spread between layers of your desired cake.

High Humidity Chocolate Frosting

Cream together:
1/2 cup butter
1/2 cup shortening

Sift into bowl: 
2 T cornstarch
3/4 cups cocoa powder
4 cups powdered sugar

Slowly combine sugar mixture into butter to avoid the sugar poofing into the air. Add:
1 t vanilla
3-4 T milk

Whip to desired consistency.  Spread immediately or cover with a damp cloth. Leftovers may be kept in the refrigerator for up to a week.

2 comments:

  1. WOW. I mean wow. That is one beautiful cake. I will definitely be using this recipe for the next chocolate cake I make. I'm not a huge fan of cake, but this beauty with the mousse in the middle looks so ONO (haha)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Bitsy! I made a second smaller cake also, 10", if we break into it before you leave (for your extended Utah vacation) we'll call you up. The first one went fast but with all those teenagers what else would you expect. :-)

      Delete

Hi Friend! I know you have something very important to say. So, what do you think?

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Followers