Wednesday, July 18, 2012

Cora's Double Chocolate Coconut Cookies

This afternoon Cora was bored. She decided to make cookies. But not just any cookies. She wanted something special.

She searched through all my recipe books--that didn't take long because I've only got 3 that haven't been packed yet. She searched through my recipe cards--that did take a while because I do not keep them organized. She still didn't find what she wanted.

That's when she declared, "I want to make my own cookie recipe!" She wanted chocolate cookies with chocolate chips and coconut.  (She also wanted to put macadamia nuts in there but we didn't have any.)

I helped her with the proportions and we talked about whether she wanted it soft or crispy or chewy or gooey. I wrote it out for her according to her directions and then she followed it all on her own. Yes, ALL on her own. (Thank goodness I was nearby when she nearly mistook 2 t baking soda for 2 Tablespoons. Phew!)

The cookies disappeared so fast that I didn't even get a picture of these goodies. They were amazing! Good job Cora!

Cora's Double Chocolate Coconut Cookies

Preheat oven to 350 degrees
Cream together until light and fluffy:
1 c butter
1 c packed brown sugar
1/2 c granulated sugar

Add and combine thoroughly:
2 eggs
1 t vanilla

In a separate bowl combine:
2 1/2 c flour
1/3 cup cocoa powder
2 t baking soda
1 t baking powder
1 t salt

Add dry ingredients to creamed butter mixture and thoroughly incorporate but do not overmix.  This is best done on slow speed.

Fold in:
2 c chocolate chips
1 c fresh shredded coconut (you could substitute coconut flakes from the store but these will probably be a lot sweeter. May need to reduce coconut to avoid being too sweet).

Spoon dough onto cookie sheets with a large cookie scoop (approximately 3 Tablespoons) and space about 2 inches apart. Bake in 350 degree preheated oven for 10 minutes. Remove from oven but let sit on pan for another 3-4 minutes to set. Move to a cooling rack to finish cooling.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Hi Friend! I know you have something very important to say. So, what do you think?

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Followers