The next day my friend brought over a bag of 5 mangoes from her tree.
The next day a neighbor gave Dave a flat of mangoes from their tree as a thank you for taking a truck load of junk to the dump for them.
This week we have been in Mango Heaven! (And so you know, the mangoes in store taste nothing like fresh Mangoes from the tree. I have been ruined and will never be able to purchase a store bought mango again, ever.) Here's what we did with them:
- Ate them fresh, still warm from the tree, enjoying every last bit and even fighting over the right to suck the juice off the pits.
- Put fresh chunks of mango into a spinach salad with mozzarella and walnuts and some poppy seed dressing.
- Make a mango fruit smoothie: In blender combine 1 cup powdered milk, 1/2 c. sugar, 2 cups frozen strawberries, 1 cup fresh mango, 1 tsp vanilla, 2 cups cold water. Blend until smooth and enjoy.
- Freeze mango pieces to be used in smoothies later. Freeze them on a parchment covered cookie sheet and then transfer to a ziploc bag or other freezer container once they are frozen. This will keep them from sticking together so you can use only a few at a time if you wish.
- Mango Freezer Jam: In a bowl thoroughly combine 3 cups mushed mango, 1/4 cup lemon or lime juice, and 5 cups sugar. Let sit for 10 minutes at room temperature. Add 1 package pectin and stir for 3 minutes. Pour into prepared freezer containers and put lid on. Let sit at room temperature for 24 hours. Place in Freezer.
- Mango Syrup: In a blender puree 1 cup mushed mango, 1/3 cup sugar, 1/3 cup water, 1 tsp lemon or lime juice. Pour puree into saucepan and cook on medium heat to boiling, stirring occasionally. Reduce heat and let simmer stirring occasionally, for about 10 minutes until sauce is reduced by 1/3rd. Pour into desired container and allow to cool. Keep refrigerated. (We served this on Kirkham's birthday cheesecake. It was sooooo delicious.)
- Mango Sorbet: Pre-freeze your ice cream maker bowl. In a blender puree 2 cup mushed mango, 2/3 cup sugar, 2/3 cup water, 2 tsp lemon or lime juice, 1 tsp vanilla. Pour puree into ice cream maker and freeze for 35 minutes. Transfer to a freezer safe container, cover and freeze. Best if cured for at least 12 hours before enjoying.
My mangoes are gone now but if/when I get more I would like to try making Mango bread, Mango muffins, and Mango chutney. . . and lots more sorbet and jam . . . and lots more sorbet and jam.