Tuesday, June 12, 2012

Jello Popcorn

Since the beginning of the year I have been promising my Primary class--a group of 10 five year olds--a popcorn party when they filled up their reward jar with beans.  A few weeks ago they finally finished filling it, receiving beans every time they were good or helpful or kind or well-behaved.

The week after they filled it I was sick in bed so obviously I didn't bring popcorn.

The week after that it was Fast Sunday (the first Sunday of the month is usually dedicated churchwide to fasting and prayer. Special donations are collected on this day for the poor and needy) so though my students weren't fasting--too young--I knew the smell of popcorn would make it difficult for other youth and adults who were fasting.  Again I didn't bring popcorn.

The kids were a little miffed with me when I showed up that week no longer sick but with no popcorn. I explained why I hadn't brought popcorn and promised that I would bring them popcorn the next week and it would be very special popcorn.

At this point one of the girls stopped me and gasped, "My mom makes special popcorn.  It's pink." The room suddenly got very quiet--an unusual occurrance for this group of kiddos-- and all eyes turned to her.  She continued, "It's jello popcorn and it is special because she only makes it once a year." The kids got very excited at the prospect of jello popcorn.  Most of them had no idea what it was.

Needless to say, later that day I called her mother and got the recipe for Jello popcorn.  It was very easy and quite delicious. The kids loved it when I brought it to class this past week, finally.

Jello Popcorn


10 cups already popped popcorn--plain & unsalted.
(Put 1/4 cup popcorn kernels in a brown paper lunch sack, fold top over twice and microwave on popcorn setting.  Re-pop any unpopped kernels)

1/2 cup butter
1/4 cup sugar
1/4 cup light corn syrup
1 pkg jello (3 oz.)--I used strawberry
1/4 tsp baking soda

Directions:
1.  Melt butter, sugar, corn syrup and jello on medium heat. Stir well until it comes to a boil. Take off the heat and add baking soda. It will foam up a little.
2.  Pour mixture over popped popcorn in a large bowl and stir until it's all coated.
3.  Spread mixture out flat on a cookie sheet lined with parchment paper or sprayed with Pam and bake 5-10 minutes at 300 degrees.
4.  Let cool then store in an air tight container.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hi Friend! I know you have something very important to say. So, what do you think?

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Followers