Thursday, May 31, 2012

Grocery Budget Break Down

Spent some time while sick in bed making a spreadsheet of all my grocery purchases since we moved to Hawaii (Yes, this is the kind of thing I do for fun.) and discovered a few very interesting things. At least I think it's interesting.
  1. My average monthly grocery expenditure is $700.  This includes all food items as well as regularly purchased toiletries, medicines, cleaning supplies, paper and plastics.  It does not include clothing, gifts, gardening supplies, or other every-so-often household expenses like batteries, bath mats, Drano, etc.
  2. Though this is nearly 3 times what I spent per month on the mainland it is still only $117 per person per month OR $3.90 per person, per day. See what you can get at McDonald's for that!
  3. Out of that $700 a month I spend, on average, $33 on breakfast cereal. We go through over 13 pounds of cereal each month and my average purchase price on cereal is .15/oz.
  4. I also spend about $33 each month on milk (real milk). Milk always hovers around the $5 mark which means that we go through almost 7 gallons of milk each month, just under 2 gallons each week.
  5. Our meat expenditures have averaged $68 per month. The majority of this is Chicken Breasts and Ground Beef Patties at Costco but also includes lunch meats, tuna, shrimp, pork butt, chicken fryers and whatever else I can find a good price on.
  6. Produce expenditures eat up nearly $90 of my average month's budget! That buys about 85 pounds of fresh and frozen fruits and vegetables each month. Divided among all six family members that breaks down to a little over 14 pounds of fruits and veg per person, per month or .47 pounds per person per day.
  7. Toiletries (soap, shampoo, hair gel, anti-perspirant, acne creme, lotion, razors, toothpaste, etc.) consume about $50 each month.  That is a much bigger number than I expected considering we don't use a lot of products.  I guess I know now what area I need to concentrate on saving some money in!
  8. March--as in last month-- was my most expensive grocery month since stocking my cupboards last August. March's grocery expenses totaled $985.49. 
  9. December was my least expensive grocery month totaling in at $279.61. That month we were saving all our pennies for Christmas and relied heavily on the food we had in the freezer.  We only purchased fresh produce and milk that month.
  10. Though it is not part of my grocery budget I am tracking my container garden expenses too. Over the past year I have spent a total of $135 on pots, soil, seeds, starts, fertilizer and bug spray. (This does not include the cost of my Mother's Day gift: a potted Tangerine tree). From my container garden I have harvested a few bunches of green onions, cilantro and basil, two handfuls of strawberries, 3 small eggplants, one salad's worth of lettuce, two tomatoes, and a small sweet potato. I'm not getting my money's worth but I am having fun learning for a little more than $10 per month.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hi Friend! I know you have something very important to say. So, what do you think?

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Followers