Thursday, January 05, 2012

Resolve

For the first time in years I did not give Christmas gifts to the kids teachers and I didn't give goodies to my neighbors. Nothing. I somehow ran out of time before Christmas break.

Once again Cora and Afton did not have completed Christmas stockings.

I can't seem to get a handle on my grocery bill here. I am beginning to believe that grocery stores are run by the mob.

My container garden is not thriving.  I have gotten 6 smallish discolored tomatoes and 2 strawberries. My basil keeps running off to seed and the only thing I can call successful is my small patch of green onion.  I don't often use green onion.

Despite getting rid of all but 7000 lbs of our belongings and moving into a small rental I still feel surrounded by clutter and like the house is never clean.

I am always trying to rustle up sewing business and substitute teaching jobs but I still don't have enough work to make a real difference no matter how much personal marketing I do.

Usually I really look forward to New Year's resolutions.  I think about them for weeks and psyche myself up and get all excited about what the new year may bring. But this year I haven't been feeling it.  All December long I couldn't even think about resolutions without feeling sick.  I felt like I couldn't handle what I've already got on my plate, how could I add more?

On Sunday at church, however, my perspective changed a little.  The speaker was talking about New Year's resolutions and three of his statements really stuck in my mind.  They were:

  1. Diligence is not perfection-- " For we labor diligently . . .  for we know that it is by grace that we are saved, after all we can do."  (2 Nephi 25:23). To me this means: Don't get caught up in doing things perfectly, or even as good as I have done them in the past.  I should concentrate on doing the best I can now--working diligently--and trust that the Lord has a plan for me and will make up for my deficiencies.
  2. "Some things simply matter more than others" Robert Millet, Quoted from the Forward of The Infinite Atonement by Tad Callister.To me this means: Don't beat myself up over the goodies, the garden, the groceries.  There are more important things to worry myself over.
  3. The race is rigged. We will all come up against obstacles.  We will get tired.  We will get bored.  We will sometimes give up.  Feeling down and out and up against big odds is all part of the game.  To me this means: that it is just that much more important to remember "I can do all things through Christ which strengtheneth me." (Phillipians 4:13) and without Him I can't.
So with these things in mind I have resolved to make some resolutions.  I will post them tomorrow.



No comments:

Post a Comment

Hi Friend! I know you have something very important to say. So, what do you think?

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Followers