Friday, January 06, 2012

New Year's Resolutions 2012

Last year I set some pretty lofty goals for myself. With the year I've had--the big move--I really didn't want to look back and review what I figured I hadn't done but I was pleasantly surprised today when I dug through and found last year's list to see that I had achieved most of my goals.

Yes, there are a few things still lacking; I didn't finish those darn Christmas stockings and I didn't take a photography class and I didn't read any pieces of literature (unless the Fablehaven series and the Phantom Tollbooth count?), and I didn't print a blog book. Having not done these I guess isn't the end of the world--though I usually do take my resolutions and goal setting pretty seriously--I think I will live.

This year I decided that I will change things up a bit and concentrate on one main goal and then I'll write myself a bucket list of things I would like to do this year.  This one goal idea does not preclude me continuing to keep up on habits I have formed in years past. I will keep up on all those goodies but I want to concentrate all (or most) my resolution energy on this one thing. Here goes,my main Goal of 2012: Pay off at least half of my student loan.  

WOW! I know you're shocked. With all my talk of staying out of debt you may be surprised that I have a student loan, right? Other than our mortgage it is our only debt. When I was young and stupid I financed 3 years of schooling. At the time it seemed like a good idea and I really thought it wouldn't be a problem to pay off once we were out of school and making "the big bucks".  We gradually paid off Dave's loans but the big bucks have never come our way and we have been slowly working on my stinking debt for 15 long years; I hate interest!  I will not allow any of my children to get student loans and I will refuse to get loans on their behalf. I want this paid off before Heath goes to college in 2 years.

And WOW! I know you're shocked. How in the world am I going to pay off half a student loan when I'm freaking out about the cost of living and having a hard time getting sub jobs. This goal will be a challenge.  However, if I can substitute 4 out of every 5 school days I can come close.  I will fill the gaps with sewing or something. It's a worthy goal; I will work with determination (and maybe, just maybe, the Lord will provide another miracle?)

Bucket List of things I'd like to do during 2012
  • Run a 5K race
  • confidently surf a 3 ft wave (just so you know that is a big wave with a 6 ft face so if I accomplish it I expect you to be amazed and to shower me with praise)
  • read 3 good books
  • finish the Christmas stockings
  • snorkel without hyper-ventilating 
  • learn to night fish hawaiian style
  • make a blog book
  • take a photography class
  • grow and harvest edible bananas
  • Go to the Island of Hawaii to see Volcanoes national park
  • Go on an overnight backpacking trip
Looks like it's going to be another busy year.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hi Friend! I know you have something very important to say. So, what do you think?

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Followers