Wednesday, January 11, 2012

Catching Up

I am very thankful to have 2 jobs this week after having no jobs last week.  I would have had three except I had two requests for subbing, from two different teachers, from two different schools, for the same exact day.  Bummer!

Last week I got my new business cards with my new phone number out to the three schools in the area.  It was suggested yesterday that I consider putting my name in for Sunset Elementary also.  Sunset is about 20 minutes away which is a bit of a turn-off for me, I don't want to be so far away from getting home to the kids after school. It is right across the street from Pipeline though (think: ultimate North Shore surf break) and is a very expensive, high-end area. I was told that "as a white girl" it might be easier for me to get jobs there.  I'll have to decide if the $10 in gas, leaving earlier and getting home later (potentially much later if a surf competition is going on) is worth the job.

I spent my not working days so far this week getting stuff done around the house.  Paid some bills, did tons of laundry, put away all the Christmas stuff, killed some ants and cockroaches, etc. I also rewarded myself with some surfing and tanning. Yesterday I went out to surf Castles (it is just a mile down the highway) and figured I'd just go out for an hour. I was shocked when I got back in the truck to come home and realized that I'd been out for nearly two hours. I did catch a few good rides though.

This morning Dave and I went surfing together.  We headed out not really sure where to surf; we just started driving.  We ended up at Piddley's which is just East of Chun's. I've surfed here before, though with limited success. Today was no different. I ended up coming in early after taking a pounding by a huge set. I spent the next hour or so recovering on my surfboard on the sand. The sun felt good on my back and dried me out pretty good, at least on the outside. Tonight I still have ocean water dripping from my nose when I lean forward. Surfing is a great way to clear out your sinuses.

Found out today that Afton took 5th place for History Day at school.  She will be going on to districts.  She has a lot of improvements to make to her project before it is due--again--on January 30th.  She is so excited and I am so proud of her.

Heath has another swim meet on Friday.  Last Friday he had a meet clear on the other end of the island.  No bus was provided so I had to take him. I didn't think it would be a big deal though because I had to pick Dave up from the airport around the same time anyways.

[Did I tell you he was in Austin, TX last week? Some conference or other.  He had a great time and learned a lot and visited the downtown area which he said was cool.]

Turned out that Dave's flight was delayed on the runway and I ended up having to continue South without him to get Heath to the meet in time. It was 3 o'clock on a Friday afternoon on the H1 through downtown Honolulu.  Heath was late by 15 minutes.  Then I had to turn around and head back to the airport to pick up Dave.  Back through the same traffic I had just driven through. By the time I got there he had been waiting for over an hour.  Then we had to head back to the swim meet. We got there about 6pm. Thankfully it was a huge meet so we didn't miss his events.  Unfortunately it was a huge meet and it took forever to get to his events. We left around 9:30 or 10. It was an hour and half drive home, only fifteen minutes of which were used to get through downtown.

Still Friday night, poor Dave had been up since 1am Hawaii time (remember he had begun his day in Austin, TX catching an early flight home).  He was kinda funny to hang out with that night.  Heath and I kept laughing at him and saying "Yep, I think Dad's tired!"

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hi Friend! I know you have something very important to say. So, what do you think?

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Followers