Wednesday, November 23, 2011

Papaya Jam


Along with the breads and pies I was prepping for Thanksgiving today I also made Papaya Jam.  I am thrilled with how it turned out. These papayas were a windfall, literally, gift from my friend Lois.  I was so happy she shared but sad for her broken down tree. Thank you Lois!

I couldn't find a recipe that I really trusted and so I kinda combined recipes and used some (of my very little) food science knowledge and made my own recipe.

8 cups chopped papaya
5 cups sugar
2 packets powdered pectin
1/2 cup lime juice

Place all ingredients in a large pot. Mash the fruit to desired consistency (or blend in blender).  Heat the mixture to boiling stirring constantly.  Ladle hot boiling jam into clean containers (plastic for freezer jam or glass for regular jam). Secure appropriate lid to seal. Allow jam to cool at room temperature for 24 hours. Keep freezer jam in freezer or refrigerated.

***if doing regular jam in a glass jar you must use appropriate lids and rings and you may have to process your jam in a hot water bath or steam processor.

From what we've tasted so far--licking the spoons and pot--this jam gets the thumbs up from everyone.  Love it!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hi Friend! I know you have something very important to say. So, what do you think?

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Followers