Thursday, November 24, 2011

Oh, So Thankful!

The kids and Dave are all sleeping; I can hear them each snoring softly, echoing from all corners of the house. The students in the house behind us are still up playing cards.  Their front window is about 20 feet from my door so I can hear even their whispers except when the wind blows and the palm fronds are rustling. When even they are quiet I can hear the highway in the distance and occasionally the waves beyond that. I am finally done with my Thanksgiving baking but now must wait for my pumpkin pie too cool enough to place into the refrigerator overnight. Now is a perfect time to reflect on the things I am thankful for.

  • I am thankful to be living in Hawaii. This is the first year EVER that I have not had a single smidgen of wintertime depression AKA Seasonal Affective Disorder.  I owe that to the climate and more specifically to the sun.
  • I am thankful for a healthy body. The ablation surgery that I had a few months back has done wonders for me.  I have more energy; I heal quicker from bumps, scratches and bruises; and I haven't had any crazy out of control cramping or headaches. Hooray! In fact I have had exactly two headaches in the last four months and no cramping whatsoever. That's amazing.  
  • I am thankful for exercise.  There I said it.  I do not LOVE exercise yet but I am thankful for it.  I am starting to feel strong and starting to feel better about myself inside and out.
  • I am thankful for my family: my hubby, my kiddos, my parents, my in-laws, my siblings, etc. They are all fantastically supportive, patient and kind.
  • I am thankful for my friends: new friends here in Laie, old friends in Washington, and California, and Utah and friends who have found themselves spread out across the globe. I am not very good at keeping up with people but that doesn't mean that I don't think about them often.
  • I am thankful for my faith and the reassurance and purpose it gives me.
More things I am thankful for:
  • my camera
  • a renter that is taking good care of my house
  • that I don't have to maintain a house here in Hawaii
  • my sewing machine
  • my Primary class students (nine 6-year old boys and girls)
  • that I've been getting more substitute calls
  • the wind
  • my bicycle
  • skype
  • screen doors
  • my computer, email and facebook to keep in touch with family and friends
  • surfing
  • 1mm rash guards
  • ice cream
  • fruit
  • chocolate no-bake cookies
  • my phone
  • our truck
  • my pinky
  • ponytail holders
  • ankle socks
  • spandex (when used appropriately)
  • color
  • music
  • my voice
  • flowers
  • cook books
  • rubber spatulas
  • band aids
  • washing machines
  • my rice cooker
and so many more things . . .

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hi Friend! I know you have something very important to say. So, what do you think?

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Followers