Thursday, November 03, 2011

Heath's Talk 10/23/2011

It took a week for Heath to find his scrawlings from his talk but here they finally are:

Brothers & Sisters, Aloha.  I was asked along with my family to give a talk on who my favorite speaker from General Conference was.  There were several talks that I could've chosen but I decided to choose President Dieter F Uchtdorf's talk on church welfare.  I made the decision to give a talk on his talk and how it has affected me throughout my life.

President Uchtdorf's talk stood out to me because it made me think about helping out at the Bishop's storehouse in Washington.  When I helped at the storehouse I always had a great time and enjoyed filling orders for those who had come upon unfortunate times.  I always liked to see their faces and the look of thankfulness that they had when I helped to quickly get their order filled.

The church welfare system was designed to help the needy and unfortunate who have come upon hard times.  At recent events such as the tsunami hitting Japan, the church welfare program was quick to respond and help anyone that needed it.  They quickly go in and help to set up shelters and to bring food to those who had lost their homes.

When I was little my favorite scripture story was that of the Good Samaritan.  It was my favorite because it showed how unselfish some people could be.  The parable is located in Luke 10: 30-37.  And this scriptures says:

30 And Jesus answering said, A certain man went down from Jerusalem to Jericho, and fell among thieves, which stripped him of his raiment, and awounded him, and departed, leaving him half dead.
 31 And by chance there came down a certain priest that way: and when he saw him, he passed by on the other side.
 32 And likewise a Levite, when he was at the place, came and looked on him, and passed by on the other side.
 33 But a certain aSamaritan, as he journeyed, came where he was: and when he saw him, he had bcompassion on him,
 34 And went to him, and bound up his wounds, pouring in oil and wine, and set him on his own beast, and brought him to an inn, and took acare of him.
 35 And on the morrow when he departed, he took out two pence, and gave them to the ahost, and said unto him, Take care of him; and whatsoever thou spendest more, when I come again, I will repay thee.
 36 Which now of these three, thinkest thou, was neighbour unto him that fell among the thieves?
 37 And he said, He that shewed mercy on him. Then said Jesus unto him, Go, and do thou likewise.

This means that you shall love your neighbor as yourself.  This is why the welfare system was established.

In the church, we strive to be like Jesus Christ in all we do.  Even while on the cross Jesus tried to save all of the Jews because they knew not what they had done.  There are many ways that we can strive to be like Christ in this day and age.  We can follow the golden rule and treat others the way we want tot be treated.  Also, show compassion unto all in everything you do daily.  We can also spread the words of the prophets unto all on a daily basis.  That is one of the reasons that the welfare program was founded, basically, what would Jesus do.

In closing, I would like to bare my testimony that the church welfare is a huge benefit to both members and non-members alike.  I know that the scriptures teach us the benefits of helping others, and that the church welfare system helps us to be known as well as we are and helps the church to grow more and more.  In the name of Jesus Christ, Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hi Friend! I know you have something very important to say. So, what do you think?

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Followers