Friday, October 28, 2011

Afton's Talk


Brothers and sisters, Aloha. My talk today will be on Elder David A. Bednar’s talk called “The Hearts of the Children Shall Turn”. While we were watching general conference David A. Bednar’s talk caught my attention. I felt really good about it. Elder Bednar said, “You are sons and daughters of God, children of the covenant, and of the kingdom. You need not wait until you reach an arbitrary age to fulfill your responsibility to assist in the work of salvation for the human family.”
In this he means that at any age you can do family history work. After the talk I went directly to the computer and went on familySearch.org.  My mom let me log in with her account.  I spent at least an hour looking at our family history.  It went back really far.  I found out that we have two ancestors named Cora (that’s my sisters name).  When I got back to the 14 hundreds and 13 hundreds I found that we have royal ancestry.  I thought that was pretty cool.
This last week I went into the ward clerk and got the information I needed to get my own familysearch.org user.  I needed my membership number and my confirmation date.  When I logged onto familysearch.org I was so excited to find out that there was some work I could do.  My great aunt and my great grandma have incomplete information that needs to be found before they’re names can be taken to the temple.  I emailed my grandma and she is going to send me the information this next week.  When I get that information I will enter it into the FamilySearch website and my parents can take the names to the temple. I want to also prepare some names for baptism.  Next year I will be able to go to the temple for them.
Elder Bednar also said, “It is no coincidence that FamilySearch and other tools have come forth at a time when young people are so familiar with a wide range of information and communication technologies.  Your fingers have been trained to text and tweet to accelerate and advance the work of the Lord—not just to communicate quickly with your friends.  The skills and aptitude evident among many young people today are a preparation to contribute to the work of salvation.”
It is fun to do family history work and learn about our ancestors.  I want them to have the same blessings of the gospel that I have.  I want them to be sealed to me for eternity. I know that Jesus Christ’s atonement makes it possible for us to be sealed together and I am grateful for that.
In the name of Jesus Christ,  Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hi Friend! I know you have something very important to say. So, what do you think?

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Followers