Wednesday, September 28, 2011

Soy Glazed Long Beans and Almonds

Monday night's Handmade Udon Noodles turned out pretty tasty though they didn't look too pretty. I served them cold with a peanut sauce. Dave and the kids gave them a thumbs up and asked that I make them again soon.  They were a bit time consuming so I'm not sure when I'll get around to making them again.  They are easy enough, however, that the kids could make them themselves.  Next time I make them I will teach the kids how to do it.

Soy Glazed Long Beans and Almonds 
The cold bean salad I made the same night was a hands down winner for easy-to-make, tasty-to-eat and pretty-to-look at. I could eat this dish all the time.

In a small saute pan toast 1 cup whole almonds over medium heat. Stir almonds occasionally so they toast evenly.  Should take about 5 minutes. Remove almonds to a dish.  To the hot pan add and heat 1 tsp canola oil.  Add to the oil 1/4 cup soy sauce and 2 tablespoons sugar.  Whisk ingredients and bring to a boil to reduce until syrupy. Add toasted almonds back to the glaze. Stir to coat evenly.  Pour almonds out onto a cutting board  and allow to cool.  Chop cooled almonds and place into a bowl with any remaining glaze.

Clean and cut 1 pound of Hawaiian long beans*. Blanch the beans by placing in boiling water for 3-4 minutes and then immediately immersing in ice water to stop cooking. Drain beans and toss with toasted and glazed almonds.  Chill or serve immediately.

*Hawaiian Long Beans are foot-long green beans.  I am not exaggerating! I've got a bush growing in my back porch garden that I'll show off to you next week. If you don't have Hawaiian long beans regular green beans would work just great.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hi Friend! I know you have something very important to say. So, what do you think?

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Followers