Thursday, September 22, 2011

Menu and Shopping List, 9/22/11

Menu
Thursday--Cheesy Ziti, Tossed Salad
Friday-- Pizza Night!
Saturday--Broccoli and Beef over Noodles
Sunday--Bacon, Egg, and Cheese Biscuits,
Monday--Handmade Kake Udon, cold cabbage salad
Tuesday--Taco Tuesday--Mexican Cobb Salad
Wednesday--Papaya Chicken

Shopping List
Foodland
1# Local Tomatoes @ 99/lb = .99
2# Local Cabbage 69/lb = $1.40
1 Hawaiian Maid Eggs, 30 ct @ 2/$9 = $4.50
FREE Foodland Local Recipe Reusable Bag when you purchase 2 or more of the above local items (in-ad coupon)
4# Jumbo Golden Globe Seedless Grapes @ $1.59/lb = $6
2# White Shrimp 51/60 ct @ $4.99/lb = $10
2# broccoli crowns @ $1.69/lb = $3.40
2 gallons milk @ $5.15 ea = $10.30
+tax!!!
Total = $38

I'll take a bike ride over to pick up some fresh Papaya from the BYU farm today.  They sell Papaya for 75 cents/lb, by far the best price I've seen, and it is the best papaya we've had here too.  I will also stop in at the country store to see what local produce they've got in this week. I'm having a lot of fun riding my new bike around town to do errands.  I've got a basket on the front, a basket on the back, and a rack for more stuff if necessary.  It's so cute!

My shopping list is short and sweet (and cheap) this week because I had a humongous shopping trip in town last week.  I went to Costco and stocked up. I also stopped in at Long's because they had jello for 50 cents per box! Yummy.

[So tax! Yes, I just realized the other day that here in Hawaii we are taxed on everything including groceries.  This is another change from Washington, and most of the rest of the United States. Only 14 of the 50 states tax groceries.  Seven of those tax groceries at a lower rate than other products.  Those states include Arkansas, Illinois, Missouri, Tennessee, Utah, Virginia and West Virginia.  Five states, Hawaii, Idaho, Kansas, Oklahoma and South Dakota, tax groceries at the full rate but "claim" to offset that with credits or rebates to certain segments of the population. Those segments are extremely narrow and it often goes unclaimed because of their tax filing status. Mississippi and Alabama charge full tax and offer no offset. Though they are taxed there the cost of living and especially the cost of groceries are lower in MS and AL.  I am still thankful I don't live there and that has nothing to do with taxes.]

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hi Friend! I know you have something very important to say. So, what do you think?

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Followers