Monday, August 15, 2011

Kahuku Grill's Banana Bread, second attempt

A few weeks ago I tried to copy the banana bread I had at the Kahuku Grill.  My first incarnation looked and tasted great but it wasn't as good as Kahuku Grill.  It needed to be a little lighter with a softer bouncier crumb. The recipe proportion needed to be adjusted so that it would fill three loaf pans instead of two and a half. It needed more coconut flavor.

Today I proudly announce I am getting closer.  Much closer! The flavor could still be intensified slightly but I think I am pretty darn close to perfect, especially when served warm with a big scoop of ice cream, drizzled with hot fudge and topped with coconut sprinkles.

Next time I make this (later this week) I will compare it side by side with a slice from the Kahuku Grill just to make sure that my taste buds aren't playing tricks on me.

Here is the recipe:
Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Prepare 3 loaf pans by greasing and flouring the sides and bottom.

In a bowl combine and set aside:
3 cups flour
1 T baking soda
1/2 t salt

Measure out and set aside:
3/4 cup coconut milk
3/4 cup milk
1 T white vinegar

In another bowl fold together and set aside:
1 1/2 cup mashed ripe apple bananas
1 cup shredded sweetened coconut
1 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips

In a mixing bowl cream together:
3/4 cup shortening
2 cups granulated sugar

Add to the creamed mixture, one at a time:
3 eggs
1 T vanilla

To the creamed mixture add one third of the flour mixture and mix just until combined. Add half of the buttermilk and mix just until combined. Add another third of the flour mixture and mix just until combined. Add the last half of the buttermilk and mix just until combined. Add the last of the flour mixture and mix just until combined. DO NOT OVERMIX. Carefully fold the banana/coconut/chocolate mixture into the batter. Pour the batter into your prepared loaf pans filling them 2/3rds full.

Bake in preheated oven for 50-60 minutes. Test for doneness. Allow to cool 20 minutes before removing from loaf pans. Completely cool on a wire rack. Can be served now but best if you serve after a day or two. Wrap in a ziploc freezer bag and place in freezer to store.

To serve: Cut portion from frozen loaf and place in a microwave safe dish. Microwave to defrost and warm--a 2" by 2" square of bread takes 30 seconds.  Immediately from microwave top hot bread with a scoop of softened vanilla ice cream (Dreyers is one of my fav's), drizzle generously with hot fudge sauce, and sprinkle with sweetened coconut flakes.

4 comments:

  1. This sounds nummy, but what are apple bananas?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Apple Bananas are so delicious. They are the bananas that most people grow here in their yard. They ares shorter than the bananas you buy in the store and they are a bit denser/firmer and sweeter. You can use regular bananas in the recipe and it will turn out just fine but apple bananas give it extra sweetness and a little different flavor.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I tried this and took it to a RS activity. I just served it plain (w/o the ice cream & choc sauce) Everyone LOVED it. BUT... the chocolate chips seemed to sink to the bottom in mine :( I actually think I would like it without the chocolate, but then again, I'm weird like that. Thanks for the recipe! I loved it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I haven't had trouble with my chocolate sinking to the bottom. But I'm glad to hear you liked it--let the chips fall where they may.

    ReplyDelete

Hi Friend! I know you have something very important to say. So, what do you think?

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Followers