Monday, August 29, 2011

Cora's Baptism Day

In case you haven't already figured it out, I'm a Mormon, a member of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. I was born into a Mormon family, married a Mormon boy in a Mormon Temple and as of Saturday all of our children have been baptized members of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. What a wonderful feeling it is to attend a baptism. If you'd like to learn more about Mormon baptisms check out this quick link.

Now that Cora is eight years old and has reached the age of accountability she had the choice to be baptized.  It is a very special and sacred time in a person's life and usually involves the whole extended family and lots of friends too. Though we are now thousands of miles away from so many family and friends we knew that it was important enough to do anyways without all the extras.

Before the baptism Cora is dressed all in white.  We borrowed a white mumu for the special occassion.

With daddy outside of the Kahuku chapel.

With the whole family.  There were many baptisms on this beautiful Saturday morning--nine seperate services and at least one of those services had two people getting baptized. Things were running a little behind so we patiently waited our turn.


After Cora was baptized she changed into another white dress--my baptism dress.  It was a little short on her (5 inches too short!) so beforehand I made a little white skirt for her to wear under it petticoat style.  She was very happy. The congregation for Cora's baptism was rather small but the spirit was there and that is what really matters.  As is tradition here in Hawaii everyone gave Cora a beautiful Lei. 

My happy girl on her special day.


Earlier in the week Cora picked out her first leather bound set of scriptures.  We had it engraved with her name on it.  After her baptism she came home and opened a special package from Grandma Heather and Papa Bob.  It included a special snugly blanket and a book about the Holy Ghost.  Then Dave and I took her to the BYU bookstore to choose a CTR ring from Grandma Peg and Papa Lou.  CTR means Choose The Right.  The ring is on order and should be here in a few weeks.  Lots of wonderful reminders for her of this very special day that she chose to follow the example of Jesus Christ to be baptized, to be born again and become a member of His Holy Church.

2 comments:

  1. Congratulations Miss Cora. Being 8 is really GREAT! I love the family photo of all of you. Do I see it featured in a future Christmas card? Hope so as it is great of everyone. I miss you all.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I saw your brother Jacob at Rumbi's Res. Last weekend. He was with is lovely wife and little baby girl. He was in line behind me and I recognized his eyes and then it dawned on me that he was a Call, yes even behind his beard! I told him that I was good friends with Heath and you but that he was too little to remember me. I told him that his brother had a crush on me and he said that's what all the girls say!! Ha he's too funny!! I bet they all do say that!;) Congrats Cora on your baptism!

    ReplyDelete

Hi Friend! I know you have something very important to say. So, what do you think?

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Followers