Monday, June 06, 2011

Really Optimistic

Dave has accused me a time or two of being a pessimist and claims that he is an optimist.  I have defended myself saying he is a dreamer and I am a realist. I suppose it all depends on how you look at it and that is exactly the point I want to make today.

I have had a lot of mixed feelings about this move.  For quite a while I was really grumpy about it, I didn't even want to go.  Isn't that crazy: an opportunity to live in paradise and not wanting to take it?! I suppose you could say I have a bit of a pessimistic streak in me. I was letting all the little things get in the way of the big picture. Here is a list of some of the reasons I didn't want to move:

  • the cost of living is too high 
  • didn't want to get rid of my stuff
  • didn't want to leave family
  • didn't want to leave friends
  • didn't want to leave my house
  • I worry about sharks
  • I worry about big waves pulling my fearless kids and hubby out to sea
  • Hawaii is humid
  • Laie, the city we're moving to, is far from everything
  • Hawaii is far from everything!
  • I'm comfortable where I am

Realistic concerns, right? Maybe, but I realize now I was grasping at straws. I was looking for reasons not to  go even though I knew that I was supposed to go. (How, you ask, did I know I was "supposed to go"? Good question that I will address on a different occasion, not quite ready to tell that story.) I even knew that I was giving bad reasons to not go, they were lies, excuses that I was telling myself. My list should have looked more like this with the excuse/lie in black and the truth in red:

  • the cost of living is too high --I have honed my budgeting, couponing and household finance skills for years, now I get to put them to the test.
  • didn't want to get rid of my stuff--I have been looking for a reason to purge the house of all unnecessaries for years. A few things I may miss but I won't miss taking care of them.
  • didn't want to leave family--Half of our extended family is already located outside of Washington state. With those that are in the area we only do things together maybe once a month.  Besides, Skype makes it easy to keep in touch. I dibs hosting the next family reunion!
  • didn't want to leave friends--More than half of our friends are located outside of Washington state.  In Hawaii we may be more likely to see friends who are on vacation and we will make more friends. I think of the song, "Make new friends but keep the old . . . ."
  • didn't want to leave my house--I haven't ever liked my house, not even when we bought it.  It is in a great location, nice neighborhood, good schools; it has met our needs but I have wanted something cuter, a little quaint even.  I've been looking for a new house for a couple of years.
  • I worry about sharks--that's the truth, I worry about sharks! But if we are careful about where and when we are surfing we should be able to easily minimize the danger. Besides over the past 10 years there have been an average of 60 shark attacks WORLDWIDE, averaging only 4 deaths per year! I should be more concerned about coral cuts, needlefish and falling coconuts.
  • I worry about big waves pulling my fearless kids and hubby out to sea--I only worry about this when they are out there by themselves.  I don't worry about it all when I am with them.  I guess I'll just have to learn to surf with them.
  • Hawaii is humid--It may be humid but it's temperature is also mild maxing out in the upper 80's and bottoming out in the low 70's.  My hair may be a bit frizzy but humidity is nothing to be afraid of.
  • Laie, the city we're moving to, is far from everything--I've always wanted to live out in the middle of nowhere and though Laie is in the country it is a college town with every amenity I need there.  And, Honolulu is within an hour and has everything I could possibly want.
  • Hawaii is far from everything!--Again, I've always wanted to live in the middle of nowhere. Why not in the middle of the Pacific?!
  • I'm comfortable where I am--Truth is I am not comfortable.  I love adventure.  I like trying new things, visiting new places and have always dreamed of living somewhere exotic. Lakewood is not very adventurous, new or exotic for a girl that grew up in the next town over. 
I really do want to move.  I really am looking forward to trying out paradise: the beautiful sights and sounds and foods and people. I really look forward to the adventure of making things work in situations that I am unaccustomed to. I really do want to look at things differently and not as a pessimist.  I am really determined to become an optimist.  Is that realistic?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hi Friend! I know you have something very important to say. So, what do you think?

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Followers