Monday, June 20, 2011

Party Time

A few months ago I had intended to plan a birthday party for my kids before we had to leave town.  A month ago I realized that time was getting short and I was going to have to push it aside and give up on the idea--I just didn't have time to put it together. That's when my sister-in-law Kristina stepped in.  She offered to take over the planning, preparation and everything.  How could I say no?

Saturday was the big day and what a fun time we had.  She recruited help from three other friends: Pam, Tiffany and Susan and put together a real fun time and a few exciting surprises.

It was raining when we woke up on Saturday.  The first surprise was that it didn't do more than wet us with a few sprinkles during the party hours.  When it was sprinkling some of the kids huddled under this pop-up while others were hiding inside.

Some of the others inside playing Wii together.

Second surprise was that everyone brought a dish to share for the Hawaiian themed pot luck.  We had yummy hawaiian meatballs and rice, macaroni salad, lumpia, lots of fruit and more.  We also had cups of shave ice.

This was no surprise to find Kirkham and his friends spending their time playing their Nintendo DS's.  I refused to purchase one for Kirkham so he saved up his own money and purchased a reconditioned one from Game Stop a few weeks ago.

This too was no surprise: we had a yummy birthday cake that was served  (it's back there on the table--this is the best pic of it I got. LOL)

A nice surprise was the Polynesian Dancers that came and performed for us.  These girls are pat of a local Polynesian Dance Club.  They were wonderful AND they are coming to Oahu in August for a competition.  We will see them in a few months!

They surprised us Dooley girls by inviting us up and teaching us a few "moves".  Afton, Cora and I had fun doing circles, boxes and shaking our hips but we've got a lot of work ahead of us if we ever plan to dance in public again.

The biggest surprise was when I was called up front, dressed in a graduation cap and gown and told to walk across the deck and patio to the beat of Pomp and Circumstance playing on a keyboard. My dad presented me with my BYU diploma.  I had really wanted to walk at graduation but with everything going on over the past few months couldn't rationalize the expense or the time it would take away from work, school and preparation for the move (I didn't want to do it unless my kids could go too).  It was nice to be recognized.

1 comment:

  1. Your "graduation ceremony" was the highlight of the day. I'm so glad we could be there to share that with you, you're an inspiration to us all!

    ReplyDelete

Hi Friend! I know you have something very important to say. So, what do you think?

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Followers