Tuesday, May 10, 2011

Low-Protein

By the end of the day yesterday I was doing much better. Once I got all my anxieties down on paper (screen) it made it much easier to focus on the positives and on my goals.  One of those goals, set by my doctor, is losing weight.  I am supposed to be on a low protein diet.  No more than 50 grams of protein per day. 50 grams isn't much.  Three and a half ounces of chicken breast is 30 grams of protein. Three and a half ounces of steak or fish fillets is 25 grams of protein. There is protein in rice and flour and beans and cheese and yogurt and milk and many vegetables. I am going to have to be very careful.

Turns out I have a friend who also needs to be careful about what she is eating.  She cannot consume more than 20 grams of carbohydrates per day. Yesterday as we were comparing notes on what we could and couldn't eat she came up with a great idea: we would do this together! For the next 6 weeks we are going to carefully keep track of what we eat and compare notes and encourage each other.  And then, if we are both successful in keeping to our goal, the week before I leave for Hawaii, we will celebrate our accomplishment by going to a movie together (or, if there are no good movies we may choose to do something else).

This makes me so excited because it is not about a goal weight.  It is not about who gets to their goal first.  It is not pitting us against each other.  We will be working together towards getting healthier and we can measure our success every single day. Hurray!

Here are a few links to webpages that I have found so far with information about the amount of protein in different kinds of foods:
protein, about.com
Harvard school of public health
vegan food protein content

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hi Friend! I know you have something very important to say. So, what do you think?

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Followers