Friday, March 11, 2011

Our House

I have really loved our house--didn't like it when we bought it though. I had moved from a 1918 Craftsman and this house just didn't have the same charm and that was tough for me. I have grown to love the house mainly because of 3 things: the neighborhood, the yard and the basement. 

The neighborhood is a quiet dead end street with friendly neighbors and a few kids. All the kids are cute and fun and seldom have problems getting along. There are many older neighbors that are home during the day so I don't feel afraid to be a stay-at-home mom because I'm not alone in the neighborhood. It is a safe neighborhood where I can feel good about letting my kids play in the cul-de-sac, walk to their friends or ride bikes to the park.The schools for this neighborhood are fabulous. I have volunteered in the elementary school the whole time we have been here and helped in the hiring process for our new principal. She is working on improving math reading scores for all children; it is an up and coming elementary. The middle school is the only middle school in the district to have a leadership program, they have a fabulous music department and their principal is the bomb! Of course, I also love Lakes H.S. and that has nothing to do with it being my husband's place of work and everything to do with the talented and caring community of teachers and administrators.  They are always looking for ways to be better and then they go out and do it. Yes, I really like my neighborhood: good neighbors, safe streets, great schools.


Our yard is just over a third acre. When we moved in it was nothing but dirt, rock and some grass. It was pretty terribly disappointing for an avid gardener like me. I set to work right away and planted fruit trees (apple, peach, pear, plum, cherry, blueberries), vines (raspberries, grapes, strawberries), herbs (rosemary, thyme, oregano, chives, parsley, basil), and lots of trees, shrubs, bulbs and perennials. We have a fire pit, a dog run, a chicken coop and a trampoline as well as lots of room for vegetable gardens in front and back. It is not perfect yet, always a work in progress, but it is perfect for my family. The kids enjoy playing in the huge laurel bushes in the back yard (they call it their fort), slip and sliding or sledding down the big hill in the front and playing with the dog or chickens in the fully fenced back yard.

The basement is one of the features I have appreciated about the house since we moved in. There is one bedroom, a bathroom, a laundry room, a family room and garage access all from the basement. We have it set up like a media room, have all the toys and books and computer down there. I use the bedroom as my sewing room. It is especially nice to have the basement when we have visitors over. We can send all the kids downstairs and the adults can stay upstairs and enjoy some peace and quiet. It is so nice to have two separate family rooms!


This place is going to be a great find for someone.  I'm going to miss it.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hi Friend! I know you have something very important to say. So, what do you think?

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Followers