Monday, February 07, 2011

Pros and Cons

All I can think about lately is this move to Hawaii.  I am both scared and excited.  Here's why:

Cons

  • I will be thousands of miles away from family and friends.  Though I have been far from family before (when we lived in California) it was pretty easy to hop in the car and $200 worth of gas later be back home.  Now it will be $200 per person, each way.  That's $2400 for a visit home--my cars aren't worth that much!
  • Quite a few people have told me that locals don't like haoles (how-lees), white people.  I am worried about my kids fitting in and me fitting in.
  • The cost of living there is exorbitant.  Milk is about $5 per gallon.  Flour, cereal, canned goods, produce and bread, pretty much all groceries, are pricey. Gasoline is more expensive.  Housing is out of this world--if we're lucky we'll be in a 3 bedroom, 1 bath, 1000 square foot home.  Wish me luck
  • The hassle of packing and moving is a big bummer.  I've worked really hard on my home to improve it and make it what I love.  I have collected many things over the years that are hard to whittle away and sell or donate.  Figuring out the logistics of what to take and what to leave and when to pack and where to ship and when to depart is all very crazy and emotional.
Pros:
  • I love a challenge. This move will challenge me on so many levels that though I dread some of the hoops I will have to go through I also look forward to getting through and accomplishing them.  Is that a little crazy? For example: I don't relish the idea of liquidating the contents of my home however I think it will be quite freeing when I get down to next to nothing.  It will be a new beginning.  I will have fewer things to take care of, clean, manage.  That will be nice.
  • As a friend pointed out last week: I have been practicing for the high cost of living in Hawaii for years.  I have always been able to squeeze every last drop out of our income and we have never gone without anything we needed.  I am suspecting we will not be needing as much in Hawaii.  The weather doesn't vary as much as it does here so we'll need fewer clothes and shoes.  We'll be playing in the ocean and climbing the mountains and enjoying the island; we'll be outside, we won't need a big house. Most everything we need including the elementary school, Dave's workplace, grocery stores and beaches will all be within walking distance of our home; we will only need one car. It may be a bit of a challenge to save up for trips home but as I said before I love a challenge.
  • If there is one thing I have learned in my 10 moves through 3 states in 15.5 years it is that people are the same everywhere.  They may look different, talk different, have different interests, and eat different food but really everyone wants to be loved and accepted and listened to, they want to share their ideas and teach their skills, they are all looking to surround themselves with people like themselves.  I know that if I walk off that plane with the intent to find kind, happy, loving people that I will find them, my kids will find them.  But if I am going with the opposite in mind I will find that too. I will go with a good attitude and look for only the best in people. I don't think this will be a challenge.
  • For years we have kept a loose-coin jar on the dryer in the laundry room labelled the "Hawaii jar".  I think at one time the most we've had was $50 in change in it. We've dreamed of  taking the kids to Hawaii but the huge vacation price tag was always prohibitive. We have been given the once in a lifetime opportunity to go not only for a week but for as long as we want! We can enjoy the beaches every day.  We will be tan.  We won't wake up freezing.  We don't have to wear shoes if we don't want to.  We can wear shorts year round. We will wake up to the singing of exotic birds. We can walk through the beautiful mountains and pick fresh fruit from the trees. We get to have an adventure.
I can't wait to get there!

6 comments:

  1. And.....don't forget......someone else is paying for you to take this adventure. That alone is reason enough to LOVE this new adventure.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Dani! I heard about your upcoming move from your father-in-law at church on Sunday. Very very exciting. Of our seven places we have lived it was our very favorite. Your list of pros and cons is good. The biggest pro is the ALOHA! You will feel that more than anything else. There is nothing like island living. It is much simpler, less materialistic. If you want to get excited you should check out my blog from mid 2007 to 2008, there should be some pictures that get you excited. Also, under the label "the price of living in paradise" you will find some additional cons: http://westbrooklyn.blogspot.com/search/label/Price%20of%20living%20in%20paradise. And be prepared for a lot of sand in your car/house at all times. Which I will take over pine needles any day.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I had to look back at my blog, and I realize the last thing you want to do right now is search through someones blogs for tidbits on island living. So I would go with the very first few months in the archives, where I have the most Hawaiian info. Also, something I remembered that you might be interested in - kids modeling! There is a big market for Haole kids and lots of companies come to shoot their summer catalogs in the winter - Pottery Barn, One Step Ahead etc. It's fun.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow Lynn, thank you so much. I've already spent a little time on your blog and especially liked the link I found to pidgen. I'll be studying that! I will definitely go back and look through all your goodies over the next few months. So far the cockroaches and mold have got me a little scared though :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. just to worn you the people are liberal there. The doctors are horrible, so if you need serious medical care don't have any major surgeries or anything like that there, they are not very good. Sloane has family that live on both Maui and Laie mostly Maui though and we've visited a lot since we've been married. Been blessed to have a place to stay and that's what I've learned about HI. Also if you don't immunize your kids than you will be before you get there, because it's required there. But over all you will be living I think on the best Island, I wouldn't live on Maui, it's nice but only to visit. The members are amazing but true Hawaiians are a little lazy, that's the only draw back. They are passionate about music which I love and super layed back, which I love too! You get the good with the bad anywhere! Enjoy your adventure, that is so great!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Dani, I haven't been on here in a while. HAWAII?! That sounds SO amazing. I am happy for you and your family. I wish you luck with all you have to do. You are amazingly well put together and I know you can do this and it will be absolutely incredible! God bless you through your endeavor.

    ReplyDelete

Hi Friend! I know you have something very important to say. So, what do you think?

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Followers