Wednesday, January 12, 2011

Chandelier

This is the story about the chandelier I rescued from certain death which Dave hated (perhaps still does).


This fixture was resting in a garbage pile at my friend's home.  The crystals--not real crystal, just glass I'm sure--caught my eye and I liked the shape and designs on the lamp body. I asked her if I could purchase it from her.  "Heavens no," she declared, "just take it!". And I did.

The "crystals" were covered in dust from years of neglect.  The first thing I did when I brought the piece home was to wash them up in some hot soapy water.  

I liked the swirls and motifs on the body but I did NOT like the color.  It was brass.  That is, the color was brass, the actual material was plastic.  Yes, I know that sounds horrible to have a brass colored plastic chandelier. But I really liked it so I painted it.  It is now a brownish metallic--is that pewter?  I'm not sure but I like it a lot more and love how the light plays off it's new surface coat.

The thing Dave hated the most about this fixture when I brought it home was that it had loose wires hanging out the top all frayed and crazy looking.  When he saw it I'm sure he saw work--he didn't want more work.  I rewired it and then slipped a fabric cover over the wire and chain to hide my sloppy workmanship.  Don't worry, though it is sloppy it is also safe--no more loose wires.
After washing the glass crystals, painting the body and rewiring  the piece I added some small black shades that I purchased at Lowe's.  So far the project had only cost me a few bucks for paint and an extra long cord.  The shades were a bit more pricey but they were perfect.  I went ahead and got them anyways.  I love the gold interior of the shades it makes everything sparkle just a little bit more.

The finished chandelier with new bulbs and everything else.  I don't like how the wire hangs down in the corner and will likely get a cord cover thing that I can attach to the wall and then paint the same color as the wall--can't remember the real name of those things--anyways, it's done for now and I like it a lot.


I like it but I'm not sure it looks right in the spot I've got it in.  This is the view from the front door--it is the first thing you see when you come in the house. It kinda offsets my offset Klimt (the artwork) on the left I hope.  I asked Dave if he likes it any better and he just kinda shrugged and smiled and said nothing.  I don't know if that means he likes it and doesn't want to admit it or he still thinks its junky but knows I worked hard on it.  I would really like some real feedback so if any of you have an opinion I'd love to hear it.

3 comments:

  1. You know that I ALWAYS have an opinion...he he he. You did a fabulous job on that chandelier. Way to go. I think it looks pretty and elegant...hope that was the look you were going for.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I LOVE it! You did a great job at refinishing it. And I really like where you have it. Well...there's my opinion:)

    ReplyDelete
  3. great job. love the chandelier, but i was also admiring the artwork on your wall.......!

    ReplyDelete

Hi Friend! I know you have something very important to say. So, what do you think?

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Followers