Monday, December 06, 2010

Weekend Report


I slept all day Friday.  I had the TV on in my room and was attempting to watch House on USA network. Unfortunately I kept falling asleep and waking up in the midst of another episode.  Made for some confusing dreams. 

The kids came home and did their chores and left me undisturbed.  When Dave got home he made dinner and fed everyone and then headed out to get me popsicles and more cough drops. When he got back he forced me out of bed to watch a movie. He was concerned that I wouldn't sleep well if I didn't stay awake for a while. What a good husband. The movie was good.  I slept well.

Saturday I didn't sleep much but I didn't do much of anything else either.  I directed children in their chores.  I got the girls to sort through toys for donation.  I sorted through a few bins in the sewing room. I took a nap in the afternoon and so was full of energy after dinner.  I convinced Dave to take me to the store so I could get out of the house.  It was a quick trip but I was tired when we got home.

Sunday I stayed home from church.  Afton was sick now too.  We stayed in bed reading while everyone was gone.  She was reading an autobiography of Bill Peet the Artist and Author.  I read Fahrenheit 451 by Ray Bradbury.

I had read the book before in high school.  I liked it then but couldn't remember much more than the TV walls and burning books. Heath has to read it later this semester so I thought it would be a good time to re-read it.  A great book with lots to think about and only 150 pages.  I highly recommend it.  Here are a few of my favorite quotes:

  • "Montag picked a single small volume from the floor. 'Where do we begin?' He opened the book halfway and peered at it. 'We begin by beginning, I guess.'"
  • "You're afraid of making mistakes. Don't be. Mistakes can be profited by. Man, when I was young I shoved my ignorance in people's faces. They beat me with sticks. By the time I was forty my blunt instrument had been honed to a fine cutting point for me. If you hide your ignorance, no one will hit you and you'll never learn."
  • "The books are to remind us what asses and fools we are. They're Caesar's praetorian guard, whispering as the parade roars down the avenue, 'Remember, Caesar, thou art mortal.' Most of us can't rush around, talk to everyone, know all the cities of the world, we haven't time, money or that many friends. The things you're looking for, Montag, are in the world, but the only way the average chap will ever see ninety-nine per cent of them is in a book. Don't ask for guarantees. And don't look to be saved in any one thing, person, machine, or library. Do your own bit of saving, and if you drown, at least die knowing you were headed for shore."
  • "Let you alone! That's all very well, but how can I leave myself alone? We need not to be let alone. We need to be really bothered once in a while. How long is it since you were really bothered? About something important, about something real?"

Some quotes that bothered me:

  • "We must all be alike. Not everyone born free and equal, as the Constitution says, but everyone made equal. Each man the image of every other; then all are happy, for there are no mountains to make them cower, to judge themselves against."
  • "If you don't want a man unhappy politically, don't give him two sides to a question to worry him; give him one. Better yet, give him none. Let him forget there is such a thing as war."
  • "Give the people contests they win by remembering the words to more popular songs or the names of state capitals or how much corn Iowa grew last year. Cram them full of non-combustible data, chock them so damned full of 'facts' they feel stuffed, but absolutely 'brilliant' with information. Then they'll feel they're thinking, they'll get a sense of motion without moving. And they'll be happy, because facts of that sort don't change. Don't give them any slippery stuff like philosophy or sociology to tie things up with. That way lies melancholy."

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hi Friend! I know you have something very important to say. So, what do you think?

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Followers