Wednesday, December 29, 2010

Through the Lens

I'm feeling very spoiled this Christmas.  Not only did I get the pot rack, the thermometer, the kitchen scale and the saucier I wanted but I also received a new camera lens AND a panda pillow pet! I am loved! Thank you loving family.

I shuffled through the house Christmas morning, with my new lens locked and loaded looking for test subjects.  I sat on the edge of the front room couch, lighted on the stool in the kitchen and then slumped into a seat at my dining room table. I was a bit frustrated after taking scads of pictures: everything looked so different through this lens, so much closer than I had expected.  It was hard to hold the camera still enough, difficult to focus, required more light.  I was quickly learning that I did not have the knowledge I needed to get a good picture with this lens.  I would need to spend some extra time planning, composing and capturing images.






Through the lens I noticed the water spots on my window and decided to capture them.  The window was about ten feet away.  I focused my energies and my lens on the spots.  I balanced the light and adjusted the lens and then just as I was about to take the shot the camera refocused, not on the mineral spots but on my neighbors bushes 25 feet beyond the intended subject. I was astonished as I realized that my lens had greater capacities than I had been using.

I moved to the front room window to test it out. Through the window I caught a shot of the patio bricks eight feet beyond, and then . . . 

 . . .a weed in the neighbors driveway 100 feet away,  and then . . .

 A crow near the top of a tree in the next neighborhood over, at least 300 feet past my windowpane.


I'm starting to feel a little better about my lens now. Amazing what sitting back, looking at the big picture and then focusing in from a distance can do.

1 comment:

  1. Isn't that what life is about? We know the big picture....but what we need to do is focus on the little things. I know you will enjoy your new lens...it just takes time to figure out its capabilities.

    ReplyDelete

Hi Friend! I know you have something very important to say. So, what do you think?

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Followers