Friday, November 19, 2010

My Birthday Presents

It has been exactly 19 days since my birthday and I'm still grinning ear to ear. I had such a great day! I studied all day and then my mom and mother in law brought over dinner, including the cake, and we had a mini party. It was perfect.

For my birthday this year I got several items early and then several gifts on my birthday.  Wanna know what I got?

First off was my new phone.  I have mentioned it a few times but I cannot go without saying again how much I LOVE my phone.  This was a big step for me because I had been in a committed relationship with my Samsung flip phone for 4 years. It was durable and inexpensive and was perfect for emergency use.

My EVO on the other hand is perfect for EVERY use. It is fully customizable, is droid technology with tons of greats apps.  It is surprisingly durable (yes Dave, I admit I have dropped it twice).  I have full access to messaging, emails, cell phone, internet, calendars, task lists, scriptures, video phone, camcorder, camera, even  my coursework! Yes, I did a lot of my reading for my classes on the sidelines of soccer games using my phone--turns out I am one of those parents. Incredible or totally embarrassing, not sure which. Thank you Dave for my new phone.

Second wasn't technically a birthday present but it was bought just previous and it has changed my life. We bought a new mattress set.  Can you believe that we had been sleeping on the same set since we were married?  Sixteen years. The mattress had worn thin and become distorted.  We never woke up fully rested.  My back was always hurting and I tossed and turned a lot at night. We needed a new set. We searched and searched and debated and debated.  We were considering purchasing a sleep number bed.  We have slept on them before and really liked them but the price was more than we really wanted to spend.  We looked at some cheap models and just weren't comfortable.  And then we found a set at Costco that we really liked. After the initial two week adjustment period (during which I was miserable) I am sleeping better and feeling better than I have in years. That's a great present!

Now to my list of gifts I got on my birthday.  I have already mentioned my impromptu family party: dinner and dessert. Next my kids gave me a new pot. It is a porcelain enamel coated cast iron dutch oven. It is Kirkland Brand (Costco).  It is very heavy and retains heat superbly.  The lid is very heavy to give the pot a bit of a pressure cooker effect. Inside the dome of the lid has little bumps that encourage convection of the moisture and air in the pot for more even cooking. It can be used on the stove or in the oven. I have used it several times already for soup and macaroni and cheese and am looking forward to making "French Chicken in a pot" in the near future. I had been craving this pot for months since it's arrival at Costco.

My mom and dad gave me a beautiful sweater and a collection of Organ books. I play Organ at church  every other month. I don't know how to play Organ, I just play it like it is a piano.  With the help of these books and some online resources I will be learning how to play the Organ like an Organ.  Thanks mom!

My in-laws gave me ice cream money.  Lots and lots of ice cream money!!! Of course she said I can use it for whatever I would like but, really,  ice cream sounds good to me. Thank you Peggy & Ladd! I already helped myself to a Hawaiian Blizzard the day I finished my last finals. I'm planning another ice cream trip this weekend. If I take Dave with does his order come out of my ice cream fund? Or should I make him buy his own?

Speaking of treats, my oh my, I have some friends with some super treat talents. A few days before my birthday my friend Lisa gave me some heavenly, melt in my mouth, giant cinnamon rolls.  She gave me six.  I ate three by myself and made myself sick and ended up having to share the others with Dave. Then a few days after my birthday my friend Susan brought me a most delicious pumpkin mouse, her own creation. It was perfectly spiced with a slightly crunchy cookie crust, butterscotch sauce layered in between and topped with white chocolate pieces. I really felt spoiled.  Thanks friends!

The long list of Facebook birthday wishes, all the phone calls and emails, a few visits and those great gifts all made my day a special one, I had a great day. Thank you everybody! I'm now 36 years old.

1 comment:

  1. You are a Scorpio [scorpio horoscope ] and you are so blessed and lucky to have an amazing and wonderful people around you who made your birthday even extra more special. That's the most important above all! I love your new phone!

    ReplyDelete

Hi Friend! I know you have something very important to say. So, what do you think?

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Followers