Friday, June 25, 2010

Bored

“Boredom: the desire for desires”--Leo Tolstoy
“I've got a great ambition to die of exhaustion rather than boredom.”--Thomas Carlyle
“The cure for boredom is curiosity. There is no cure for curiosity.”--Ellen Parr
“Work spares us from three evils: boredom, vice, and need”--Voltaire
"Boring is as Boring does"

By 12:30 my four children were home from the last day of school, eating lunch and thinking about the rest of their summer. By 2:30 all four were spread out on the floor and couches of the front room and Kirkham exclaimed, "I'm bored, there's nothing to do!"

To which I replied:

go fishing
make a slip and slide
play in the sprinkler
jump on the trampoline
walk the dog
read a book
read the comics
put together a puzzle
play a board game
play a card game
ride a bike
toss a ball
play frisbee
play with the chickens
pick some flowers
pick some strawberries
draw a picture
write a story
build a fort
play with legos
assemble a model
make some paper airplanes
catch frogs
catch worms
sidewalk chalk
go for a walk
practice target shooting with the BB gun
whittle something

and I haven't even started listing chores yet.

What do you tell your kids to do in the summer time?

2 comments:

  1. Dani,

    Directly after reading your blog I read a somewhat similar article in outside magazine. I enjoyed some of the stories and thought you might too!

    http://outside.away.com/outside/culture/201006/how-to-raise-active-kids-intro.html

    ~Jake

    ReplyDelete
  2. I got them in the play Peter Pan and that has helped a lot my kids are lovin' it! I did have them help me make a list of things they like to do and when they tell me that then I tell them to go look at their list of things to do or I tell them I will give them chores to do, that's shuts them up real quick!

    ReplyDelete

Hi Friend! I know you have something very important to say. So, what do you think?

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Followers