Monday, April 12, 2010

Time Flies

Kirkham keeps saying "I can't believe it's already Friday (or whatever day it is). Time is getting so much faster."

I keep telling him, "Just wait 'till your 36!" He looks at me quizzically.

It seems like just yesterday that these kids of mine were born but in fact it was nearly 14 years ago when I had my first baby. And now I've got less than 14 years left. "The baby", Cora, is 6.

This morning as she got out of the car at school I called out the usual "I love you girls have a great day at school." She, Cora, turned back and said "Thanks mom and you have a good day . . . (big smile). . . at home . . .(smaller smile). . .by yourself." The smiles faded into (another) quizzical look as she realized how un-fun that sounded. She tossed in a big "I love you" and an air-hug trying to make up for all the un-fun I was bound to have today.

I returned home as I do every day to my eternal circle of laundry and dishes. Here, everyday seems like yesterday and tomorrow. The only thing that changes is the size of the clothes and the sheer amount of food that passes into, and straightway out of, my refrigerator and pantry.

Today I can't believe it's already Monday. I could swear I just did these chores yesterday. How does a carpet get so dirty and the windows so smeared. There's a solid layer of dust on the bookshelves but didn't I just dust that yesterday? No clean hole-less socks? I just bought 3 packs like, yesterday, or maybe it was last Monday, or, oh my, it was last month!

I look at myself quizzically in the mirror and ask "How much faster is this going to get? What's this going to be like in 14 years? I'll be--50!"

3 comments:

  1. I feel your pain on kids growing up fast. Jayson had his last day in Primary yesterday. When did he grow up???? He is still 5 in my eyes. I totally understand.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Um, Yeah. Where does the time go? Chase is no longer a boy but has just embarked on becoming a man. I can't believe he's in Brazil! I walked in from work this morning and found his slippers behind the couch where he left them yesterday as he put on those heavy missionary shoes. How long will I leave them sitting right where they are....

    ReplyDelete
  3. Life IS like a roll of toilet paper...the closer you are to the end, the faster it goes.

    ReplyDelete

Hi Friend! I know you have something very important to say. So, what do you think?

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Followers