Tuesday, March 02, 2010

Free Audio Downloads

I've been in a bit of a rut lately not wanting to do my housework. At first I offered myself incentives like:
  • I can watch a favorite TV show while folding laundry
  • OR when the kitchen is clean I can have a cookie
  • OR after I vacuum I can spend 15 minutes playing the piano.
But then I decided I didn't want to watch TV, have a cookie or play piano.
Then I started threatening myself:
  • OK, if I don't have the bed made and windows washed by noon I can't go grocery shopping
  • OR no blogging until the front closet is cleaned out.
But I paid no attention to my own threats and just went to the store or started blogging anyways--totally disregarding myself!

I started to think about what I really needed and why I was feeling so down and out about doing my job. I realized I was bored; I needed distraction! I grabbed my iPod and went to work finding some free audiobook downloads to distract myself with while scrubbing toilets, mopping floors and all the other nitty gritty that comes along with keeping house. They are just what I needed!

Pierce County Public Library- you can download a variety of audiobooks from your local library. For an overview on how it works and the software you need to download go to the quick start guide. For a list of books available go to the audio books catalog with over 350 titles available. You must have a valid library card to use this service. If you live in a different area check out your local library web site to see if this service is available in your area.

lds.org- You can download scriptures, music, books and other religious materials from the Mormon church. Their audio Bible is the King James Version and they have many offerings from General Conference addresses to Addiction Recovery programs available. I am currently listening to Jesus the Christ by James Talmage. Visit the Church Publications in compressed Audio Format page for a complete list of available content.

iTunesU- has lots of great public domain works. Some of them are classics like Uncle Toms cabin and others are speachs and lectures from local Universities. They've even got language learning audio books. Download iTunes to get these free audio books.

1 comment:

  1. I like to listen to podcasts while I do my housework. iTunes has a free podcast to suit almost any interest. Some of my favorites are "Wait Wait don't tell me" from NPR, "Pottercast" (Harry Potter),and "Left, Right and Center" from KCRW.

    ReplyDelete

Hi Friend! I know you have something very important to say. So, what do you think?

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Followers