Friday, February 19, 2010

A Rooster in the Henhouse

After a week of waking to the noisy vocalizations of a chicken we finally came to the realization that one of our three birds is a rooster. He is a very young rooster so it wasn't really a strong crow at first his pubescent voice cracking and uneven was easy to mistake for a mad hen's hoot. But yesterday morning just as the sun poked it's strong rays over the tops of the trees and through the thick morning fog a strong cock-a-doodle-doo rang through the neighborhood and I knew this chickens time with us would be short.

Here in our neck of the woods, Lakewood, WA, flocks of chickens are regulated by city ordinances. No more than 16 chickens per acre and NO ROOSTERS. Of course the city will only know about a rooster if someone tells them about a rooster but both my husband and my very nice next door neighbors also say "NO ROOSTERS!" After waking, two days in a row, to this roosters good morning gloat I must agree.

Chicken dinner anyone?

No, just kidding, that's just way too much work! Do you have any idea how hard it is to kill and pluck and prep a chicken for dinner? It would take a good hour at least not to mention the mess it would make and the feathers I'd have to do something with and I don't think he'd even be big enough for a meal. Yeah, it's free but really, chicken is on sale at Safeway this week for 79 cents a pound. For 3 bucks I can get a bird big enough to feed the fam, no feathers, no work.

This chicken will have to find a new home. I called my friend Bobbie--she's the friend that gave him to me--and she has a spare rooster too. She'll be taking them both out to the feed store this afternoon. The feed store does not take roosters during the dead of winter and does not pay for the roosters but they will find them a good home with someone who wants a rooster. Someone with lots of room out in the country. No city ordinances, no neighbors to appease, lots of earplugs. Somewhere where this little rooster can cock-a-doodle-doo to his little hearts content.

Goodbye Rosie! Or I guess I should say Ross.

2 comments:

  1. That's too funny! Hey Sloane and I were talking this morning and we both decided that we don't know how to be frugal. Sloane grew up poor and I grew up with parents who made bad financial choices but we never REALLY learned how to be frugal so I would love to hear any posts on ideas on how to be frugal, even right down to the little ideas that you have! Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I do know how much work it is to butcher a chicken, because I did one all by myself when I was a missionary. A local couple thought it would be a good thing for us to know in case of emergency (they told us we could butcher pretty much any bird the same way if we were starving). Actually, the hardest part for me was catching the chicken!

    ReplyDelete

Hi Friend! I know you have something very important to say. So, what do you think?

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Followers