Friday, December 18, 2009

Goody Exchange

Goody gifting is one of my favorite Christmas traditions from childhood that I continue in my family today. Every year on either Christmas Eve or Christmas Eve eve (the 23rd) mom would lead the five of us kids in making special treats to share with neighbors, friends and family. Not just any confection would do, mind you, it was always mom's special Raspberry Coffee Cake, Yum! The soft moist, yet slightly crispy-on-the-outside biscuity cake. . . The warm and tangy raspberry center. . . The finger-licking sweet deliciousness of the glaze . . .Just thinking about it my mouth is watering and I'm feeling Christmas-y all over!

We'll be making our Raspberry Coffee Cake on Monday and doing our deliveries that night. I've gone through my pantry and located all my ingredients, I've stocked up on sour cream and I've got plenty of plastic wrap and ribbon. Now to hand over the recipe so you can do the same, right? WRONG!

My recipe is special! A family heirloom, passed down from my mother, who adapted it from a magazine recipe in the 80's--special! You don't expect me to just hand it over willy-nilly for you to use and abuse and make before I drop one off at your doorstep (yes, Mathisons as my Home Teachers you will be getting one!), do you?

OK, you got me, I am gonna hand it over. BUT, in exchange I'd really like a special recipe of yours; tit for tat. Does that sound fair? And to make it even more fair I'll throw in a Capri-sun lunchbag, as a Christmas gift, to the submitter of my very favorite goody gift special recipe.

The lunch bag is the one I made way back in September in my post The end is near. I had promised a tutorial back then, haven't posted it yet but will after Christmas. I can make it in your choice of pink or blue. Only your kids and my kids will have the same bags, oh goody!

Without further ado in good faith I give you my recipe for:

Raspberry Coffee Cake
Preheat oven to 375 degrees
In a medium sized bowl combine:
2 cups Bisquick
1/3 c sour cream
1/3 c milk
2 T softened butter
Mix to a soft dough consistency and turn out on a floured surface. Sprinkle lightly with flour and carefully knead dough 12-15 turns. On a 14" piece of lightly greased and floured parchment paper roll dough to a 12"x8" rectangle. Make eleven 2 1/2" slits down each long side of the dough rectangle, each 1" apart, forming fingers of dough sticking out the sides.
Down the center of the rectangle spread:
1 cup Rasberry Jam
Alternately fold the 1" fingers over the raspberry jam to form a braid. Carefully slide the braid laden parchment paper to a cookie sheet and place in oven to cook for 12-15 minutes or until lightly golden brown. Remove from oven, cool. While still warm drizzle with powdered sugar icing. Serve warm. Excellent the next day, reheat pieces in microwave for 7 seconds.
Icing
Mix until smooth:
2 cups powdered sugar
2 T butter
2 T milk

OK, now it's your turn. For your chance to win a capri sun lunch bag handmade by moi and fame and notoriety with the tens of Dooley's Doodles readers submit your recipe one of two ways.
1-post it in the comments, or
2- post it on your blog and use Mr. Linky (below) to link your recipe to this page. I'll give you one week, until next Friday, December 25th, before I close entries. I'll post the winner and tutorial on Monday, December 28th. Tell your friends, too!

2 comments:

  1. So here goes.....
    Mary's Chili

    Brown 1 lb ground beef
    add 1 diced onion, Salt and Pepper, to taste.
    In crock pot throw: 1 can diced tomatoes, 1 can corn, 1 can black beans, 1 can pinto beans, 1 can diced green chilies. Dash of sugar and about 2 tsp of cumin. Maybe a dash of chili powder. Add ground beef. Stir
    Cook for 3-6 hours.
    I like to serve with sweet corn bread. I top with corn chips, sour cream, and cheese.
    Hope you like it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I belatedly realized that you ment GOODIE. Sorry I guess in my house we think that chili is a goodie....

    ReplyDelete

Hi Friend! I know you have something very important to say. So, what do you think?

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Followers