Friday, November 20, 2009

New Moon?!

So I was in the middle of a PTA board meeting yesterday with four of my best friend PTA moms and was completely and utterly shocked when our PTA Pres. stops everything to inform us she was going to the midnight showing of Twilight New Moon. "You don't have to put that in the Minutes though" she exclaimed as the Secretary giggled leaning over her notebook, pen in hand.

The room suddenly exploded with excitement and jealousy. Yes, can you believe it?! I couldn't believe what I was hearing! Four grown women gaga over the so called 15 year old romance novels. I was incredulous. I was astonished. I was so startled and cautiously relieved that I was not the only grown woman that had been taken in by these books.

Yep, that's right. I'm a bit embarassed to admit it but, yes, I have been reading and enjoying the Twilight series too. And yes, I am a bit jealous that she is going to the midnight showing of New Moon. She didn't even invite us. The audacity!

I'm not usually much of a fiction reader. I prefer non-fiction like gardening, how-to books, cook books and the like. When I do pick up a novel it's generally something classic like Anna Karenina, Les Miserables or Pride and Prejudice. Or it's something I can read to the kids like the Narnia series by CS Lewis or the Little House on the Prairie series by Laura Ingalls Wilder. Something like Twilight is almost unheard of for me.

I only started reading it because Dave made me. OK not made me, he didn't lock me up or threaten me or anything. He borrowed it from a friend, read it, enjoyed it, told me very little about it, said I should read it and then buried it away on his bookshelf--He made me! Curiosity got the better of me and I couldn't stand that my husband had read this "little girls" book and I hadn't--HE MADE ME DO IT!

I read the first one and I hadn't had any plans to read the second. Then a few weeks ago we watched the movie On Demand and at the end there were trailers for New Moon. Well, those trailers just looked so intriguing! And I just didn't want to wait 3 weeks to find out what would happen so I checked out the book from the library--just so I'd be prepared when Dave wanted to go to the movie, of course.

My goodness, was I disappointed with the end of New Moon, it really left me hanging. I was so upset about the choice Bella had made and was mad and concerned that they were all making the wrong decisions and was just so darn upset that I HAD to read Eclipse just to put myself at ease. The agitation was killing me! I had absolutely no choice in the matter!

So now I am half-way through with Eclipse and am very happy with the way things are looking for Bella right now. If things go the way I think they will I will finally be able to put down this series and won't have to read the last book. Oh, how embarassing would that be to have read the whole series! A 35 year old, molly-mormon, who's never read a gushy, trash novel in my life, tearing through the whole teeny-bopper action romance series in a months time. What a cliche!

Unfortunately I fear I will be forced to do it anyways. Someone will ask me what I thought about such and such plot twist or a friend will have it casually sitting on the edge of their bookshelf close to falling off--it'll be a rescue mission. Or perhaps the movie will be made (or something totally crazy random like that) and I'll be driven to read every last book. Oh, it'll be terrible, horrible! And of course, mind you, it'll be against my will. Of course!

BTW--I'm team Jacob!!!!!! Edward sucks!!!!!!!

4 comments:

  1. Oh Dani....I read all four of the books last Christmas and I did it all in four days. I was like a giddy school girl. I sat on my couch for all those days and Dave would just look at me and shake his head. I am a voracious reader so he is used to seeing me with a book to my face. In fact, both of us are readers. Although our genre's are waaay different. You will HAVE to read the 4th book....if you don't you will never find out that Jacob is a ...... or that Edward..... or even that Rosalie eventually changes her....oh wait....that's right....you don't want to read the fourth book to find out. Bummers....you would have really enjoyed the book. Too bad for you...LOL...if you ever change your mind, just let me know and I will let you borrow the last book.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dani, I've read the whole series. I had to of course. :-) My daughter Kelly wanted to read it and I felt an obligation to make sure that it was appropriate. I think Jacob is the better person for Bella, too....I thought I was the only one. I will say that I was pleased that the books reflect a level of self-control that spurred some discussion with Kelly, who is approaching dating age. And I wish movies would be a little more reflective of that! I haven't seen the new movie yet, but I'm sure Kelly will want me to take her next week.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dani you crack me up. All the females in my family are Twilight addicts, myself included. I really enjoy all her underlying themes: 1. Life isn't perfect, but you should do the best with what you are given 2. Even the most challenging urges can be overcome by practicing self control. 3. Family is more important than anything else. 4. Love is never perfect, and it often takes a lot of heart ache to make it work. I could go on for a long time, but I won't. The reason I think Edward is wonderful is because he's good. He really does want what's best for Bella even if it comes at great personal sacrifice to himself. To me that is what true love is about.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Dana left Twilight at my house about 4 years ago and I read it. I was hooked from the first book. I had to wait forever for each subsequent book to be published. Not that I thought they were classic literature, mind you, but I did find them very entertaining, and I liked the way they dealt with the morality issues in the middle of all that teenage angst. I also thought the books improved with each new title, so they easily kept my interest. Very disappointed by the first movie, though. I especially dislike the actor they chose to play Edward! That's my 2 cents, anyway.

    ReplyDelete

Hi Friend! I know you have something very important to say. So, what do you think?

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Followers