Wednesday, November 18, 2009

How to peel a Pomegranate

I love pomegranates. You may have noticed when I made special mention of them on my birthday. My mom has given me one for my birthday most every year since I was a little girl. I have fond memories of opening them to add to Thanksgiving salads. When we bought a house in Fresno (many years ago, since sold) one of the major selling points was that it had an orange tree and TWO pomegranate bushes in the yard. I love the thrill of the hunt digging through the fruit to find every last little treasure hidden inside the flesh. I love the sweet smell and the tangy crunch of the treasured arils (seeds) as they pop and squirt between my teeth.

One drawback with pomegranates is the mess they make. If opened improperly they are at best a nuisance to clean up after and at worst leave disastrous red stains on walls, counters, floors and holiday clothes. There is a way to open them without all this trouble and as a pre-Thanksgiving gift to you I have put together a little tutorial on how to properly peel or open a pomegranate. So go out and get yourself a pomegranate--on sale now at H&L produce $1 each--and enjoy.


Step 1
Select a firm glossy fruit with a deep red color. Check for soft spots or bruises. Choose a fruit that is heavy for it's size.


Step 2
Prep your area. You will need a cutting board, very sharp knife, a medium sized bowl full of water and a ziploc bag.


Step 3
Quarter the pomegranate. Using a firm swift stroke cut the pomegranate in half. Turn halves cut side down on the cutting board and cut again.

Step 4
Free the arils. Immerse the quarters one at a time into the water. pull the corners of the quartered pomegranate back with your fingers and loosen the arils from the membrane with your thumbs. The arils will drop to the bottom of the bowl and membrane will float.


Step 5
Remove floaters. with your hand or a slotted spoon fish out all the floating membrane and skin and discard. The water will look a little cloudy--that is the juice that would have spattered on you that got caught in the water instead.


Step 6
Store your arils. Drain the water from the arils. Place arils in a ziploc bag. Refrigerate for up to 3 days or freeze for up to 6 months.

2 comments:

  1. Dani...you are BRILLIANT. I hate the mess of Poms....so I quit buying them. You make them sound so super. I will go out and buy them again and follow your directions. The poms in your freezer would look really pretty made up in small ice cubes for a summer time drink on a hot ( hopefully not 107 degrees) August evening. Thanks for always giving us great ideas.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Dani, that is awesome! My Dad loves them too, but no one will peel them except my Mom. Now maybe I'll volunteer. :-)

    ReplyDelete

Hi Friend! I know you have something very important to say. So, what do you think?

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Followers