I suppose I should clarify "clean" a little more than even a time frame can do (because really truly, it is not clean, at least not as clean as I would like it to be). By clean I mean between the aforementioned hours you can't see chunks and crumbs of whatever on the floors; the bathroom sinks, counters and mirror are free of toothpaste and hair; all furniture is in it's proper position with seat backs in their fully upright position; pillows cushions and throw blankets are at their assigned stations; laundry baskets are not overflowing and all clean laundry that is not yet in a drawer or closet is neatly folded or hangered in the laundry room; kitchen sink is empty and shined! Yes, three weeks of work and that is what I have accomplished, impressive right?!
If you really are impressed you may be asking right now, "what else is there?" Oh, let me tell you: CLUTTER! (Did you see my face suddenly flush and hear my heart rate speed up and feel my palms get sweaty?) I have piles and corners and secret nooks and crannies (hot spots) full of clutter. They are keeping me from my goal of peace, happiness and cleanliness and that is just where Fly Lady is the most helpful: by encouraging baby-steps. I try everyday to take a baby-step that will help me overcome one of my hot spots of clutter. Even just 15 minutes is helpful.
For instance: Last week I took 15 minutes on Tuesday to clean out my paperfile on the kitchen shelf. Last Thursday I used up 45 minutes "facing" the canned goods in my pantry (facing is the grocery store term for lining up like products and facing the cans to the front so the contents can be easily determined). Friday I spent 15 minutes clearing off my nightstand putting away extra pencils, throwing away candy wrappers (shh!), and reshelving books. The baby-steps are helpful but oh, wow, have I got a million little hot spots. It is going to take a while before I am satisfied and feel clean all over. Deep breath . . . .baby-steps . . . "inch by inch life's a cinch". (Rinse and repeat.)
In following with FlyLady doctrine today, Monday, I will "Bless my House" in addition to my daily routine of chores. Here is the basic break down in case you are interested in such boring and completely useful topics.
Daily morning routine (takes about 30-45 minutes at an easy pace):
- Dishes into dishwasher, shine sink, wipe counter tops, sweep
- Start a load of laundry
- Walk through house collecting misplaced items and relocating to their proper stations
- Tidy and wipe bathrooms, checking soap, towel and TP levels, replacing as needed
- Dust horizontal surfaces
- Wipe mirrors, windows, appliance fronts and tops, doorknobs and lightswitches
- Vacuum all carpeted areas and bathrooms (easier to vacuum hair than to sweep it)
- Antibacterial wipe down of all bathroom surfaces including the outside and backside of toilet (I hate this part).
- Mop kitchen and bathrooms
- (not included in 60 minutes) Take a nice long hot shower wiping down the shower with the Magic Eraser while enjoying the steam. Alternate showers each week so that each is thoroughly cleaned at least every other week.
Pretty exciting stuff, I know. At this rate my house will be spotless by June, just in time for the kids to get out of school. Wish me luck on my baby-steps!
Read the whole series on my Fly Lady fun. Monday I "Blessed my House" , Tuesday is "Desk Day", Wednesday I ran errands, Thursday is catching-up day and Friday I get back to blessings.