Tuesday, September 22, 2009

Chocolate Cake--hold the eggs

My oldest, Heath, came home from school yesterday with a chocolate craving something bad. He was rummaging through cupboards and drawers and bins. He found M&M's and Hershey's chocolate bars, chocolate chips and Nestle quik chocolate milk mix, chocolate syrup and chocolate wafers. None of them were quite chocolaty enough for him to eat. "I want chocolate cake" he declared.

"Then make some" I replied.

"I would but we're out of eggs!" he retorted, exasperated.

"Well, have I ever got the recipe for you: 'Husband Pleasin' Chocolate Cake'. No eggs necessary."

He made it and we all enjoyed it. Here's the recipe:

Husband Pleasin' Chocolate Cake

Into a large bowl Sift together:
3 c. cake flour or all-purpose flour
2 c. sugar
6-8 T. Cocoa Powder
2 t. baking soda
1 t. salt

Add:
3/4 c. oil
2 T. vinegar
2 t. vanilla
2 c. COLD water

Mix all ingredients thoroughly. Pour into a greased 9x13 pan. Bake in preheated 350 degree oven for 40-45 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean. Cool. Can be served plain, frosted with buttercream, 7 minute frosting, cool whip, etc. Also delicious as cupcakes, reduce cooking time to 25 minutes.

Funny note: When Dave and I were in college and just engaged I made him one of these cakes. We shared with his room mates who, though they all had girlfriends--none serious, quite enjoyed the opportunity for fresh baked goodies. One of the guys when offered a piece asked what it was and I replied "Husband-pleasin' chocolate cake!" in my most chipper excited tone (I'm sure I had a goofy-cheesy grin on my face too).

"That's disgusting," he snorted at me "with a name like that I can't eat it!" (Hmm, a bit displeased with his lack of prospects perhaps?) After some taunting, jeering and prodding he finally decided he could have a piece "But only if you never say the name of it again!" he demanded.

Husband Pleasin' Chocolate Cake!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hi Friend! I know you have something very important to say. So, what do you think?

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Followers