Wednesday, September 02, 2009

Bagel Recipe

A few of you caught that I made bagels the other day. It was my second time ever making them and they turned out quite a bit better than the first time (I used a different recipe this time). I was very happy with the outcome.

My family was happy too. They gave me rave reviews and now all but 6 of the 24 bagels I made are gone. Those 6 survived only because I hid them away in the back of the freezer, I'll bring them out this weekend to remind everyone how wonderful I am.

I have had a couple requests for my recipe and I must say it is not my recipe it was directly out of the Better Homes and Garden Cook Book (the one with the red and white check pattern on the front). It is a bit labor intensive--there are no real waiting for rising times and such you just go, go, go--so make sure you have a solid 2 hours of playing in the kitchen time before you even think about trying to make these. I know 2 hours sounds like a big chunk of time but it is fun and the end result is satisfying and tasty and your family and friends will think you are amazing for making your own bagels.

Have fun!

Bagels
(adapted from the Better Homes and Gardens Cookbook, 1994, pg 52)
makes 12

Mix to combine in your Kitchen Aid bowl:
4 1/2 c bread flour
1 T yeast
1/4 c sugar
1 1/2 c warm water
1 1/2 t salt

Knead in mixer for 8 minutes until dough is smooth and elastic. cover and let rest for 10 minutes. Fill a large pot with 3-4 inches of water and 1 T sugar and put on high heat to boil.

Working quickly, divide dough into 12 equal portions. Shape each portion into a smooth ball. Punch a hole in the center of each ball with a floured finger. Pull dough gently to make about a 2-inch hole, keeping bagel uniformly shaped. Place on a greased baking sheet. Cover; let rise for 20 minutes. (start timing after first bagel is formed!!!) While they are rising prep a cooling rack with several layers of paper towel on it for draining bagels. Turn oven on to broil.

Broil raised bagels about 5 inches from heat for 1 1/2 minutes on each side, turning with tongs or a spatula (or both). Tops should NOT be brown. Remove bagels from broiler and reduce oven temperature to 375 degrees.

Place 3-6 bagels into boiling water. Simmer for 3 1/2 minutes on each side, again turning with tongs or a spatula. Remove from boiling water and drain on paper towels. Continue boiling and draining the rest of the batch.

Place drained bagels on a well-greased baking sheet. Bake in 375 degree oven for 25-30 minutes or until tops are golden brown.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hi Friend! I know you have something very important to say. So, what do you think?

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Followers