Thursday, August 13, 2009

Zucchini

I admit it, I am one of those crazy people who LOVE zucchini. I eat it raw, sauteed, baked, whatever! I have recipes for zucchini bread, cake, bake, salad, slaw, cookies, lasagna, pasta, and more.

This year I planted 3 zucchini plants expecting to have zucchini coming out my ears. I planned on eating and freezing and giving away and guess what . . . . .All of them died! Obviously I was distraught because, though I love my zucchini, I refuse to buy it at the store. It must be fresh from the vine. No zucchini for a whole 'nother year, that made me really sad.

Monday night I got a knock on my door. It was my friend Kathy. She had a big bag of, you guessed it, ZUCCHINI, under her arm--for me! I was overjoyed! 5 zucchini! Thank you, thank you, thank you, Kathy!

Yesterday I made 4 loaves of zucchini bread. One disappeared immediately. I froze two of them for consumption later this week or next. Number 4 loaf will probably be gone sometime today. My family loves zucchini bread.

Tonight's dinner is Zucchini Ziti bake:

Boil one pound of ziti pasta according to package directions.
Preheat oven to 400 degrees

In a large saucepan heat:
3 T Olive Oil

Reduce heat to medium and sweat:
1/4 onion, diced
3 cloves of garlic, minced

When onion is nearly translucent add:
1 medium zucchini, sliced, tips discarded

Cook zucchini mixture, stirring, slightly browning the faces of the zucchini slices. Add:
1 quart jar of your best home canned stewed tomatoes (or a 28oz can of store bought)
1 sprig fresh thyme
1 sprig fresh basil

Stir, breaking the tomatoes down to smaller pieces. Cover and simmer for 10 minutes. Add:
1-2 tsp salt
pepper to taste

Drain pasta and place in a large baking dish. Pour zucchini sauce over noodles. Cover with 1/2 lb of grated mozzarella. Stir to combine all ingredients in dish. Top with another 1/2 lb of mozzarella and sprinkle with grated Parmesan. Bake uncovered for 30 minutes until hot throughout and lightly browned on top.

1 comment:

  1. Hi, Dani! I have zucchini coming out of my ears here...can you post your zucchini bread recipe...and cake? that sounds interesting, too....

    BTW - I have a kitchen aid mixer!! RED!!!

    ReplyDelete

Hi Friend! I know you have something very important to say. So, what do you think?

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Followers