Tuesday, September 01, 2009

The end is near

I know some of you have already sent your kids off to their first day of school this year. My friends in Fresno and Arizona sent their kids off to school several weeks ago. My aunt Addie's kids went back last week. My sister's kids go back for their first day today. I still have 9 more days with my kids.

Back to school is a blessing and a curse. I tend to think of it as a curse--I want my kids to stay home with me all the time, it is so fun and free-spirited without schedules and homework and projects. We get to do what we want when we want. We can pick blackberries or blueberries or go waterskiing or do gardening or play outside or go for a ride or to the beach, etc, etc, etc or just sit at home and read and watch movies. I love summer!

But, like I said, back to school time is also a blessing because my house is a disaster, I haven't been grocery shopping in a couple weeks (except for milk and ice cream--the necessities), and my laundry is out of control. All this free-spirited fun is catching up with me and it is about time I got back to business back to school will force me to do that.

But not quite yet.

I've got a few days left with the kids and so, as of yesterday, we decided to make the most of it. We are scrambling to finish up some of the projects we have been wanting to do for a long time. Yesterday we finished moving the wood pile to make way for the yet to be built chicken coop/bunny run. We mowed lawns and tidied up the back yard. I made the girls a frilly lace valance for their bedroom window {upcycled from an old bedskirt that was torn on one side}. The girls and I designed and constructed their lunch bags {upcycled from Capri Sun pouches--watch for a post on these coming soon}. The boys began painting the back porch awning thing --a project I started 2 summers ago and hadn't yet finished. The girls and I made bagels. The boys also sanded and painted my kitchen stools black and I painted and polished up an old chandelier that I thought looked cool and that I want to hang in my front room {Dave thinks it's wierd, I think it's chic}. To top it all off we went waterskiing after dinner.

Yes, I am out of breath. Yes, we did all that in one day! Yes, I'm impressed too! I don't think the rest of our summer break will be this eventful but I do hope to squeeze a bit more out of these last days of summer. I just don't want it to end!

3 comments:

  1. wow dani! i couldn't accomplish all that in one week let alone a day! i am extremely impressed! we are having so much fun with jacob and alli while they are in florida, my jack is in love with jacob! they are headed to key west today and tomorrow and hopefully they will post some pictures for all of us to enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The kids were a big help and really they were all just small jobs. Have fun with Jake and Alli, we miss them!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dani, have you heard about this? http://www.docstoc.com/docs/10582301/President-Obama’s-Address-to-Students-Across-America-September-8-2009

    What are we going to do?! I've already written the White House. This has got to stop!

    It is impressive how much you get done in one day. Honestly, I look up to you!

    ReplyDelete

Hi Friend! I know you have something very important to say. So, what do you think?

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Followers